1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama, Hillary or McCain ... does it even matter?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jps, May 2, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

How many people here have actually read a Supreme Court ruling? How many of you know even know when the Court rules on cases?

As for President...the most important thing for anyone voting to know is this: The right-wing media badly wants Hilary Clinton to win this election. Clinton gives them four more years to beat up Democrats in the old fashioned "you're a fuckin idiot if you're a Democrat" way, and allows them to reload with a new "Mitt-but-not-a-Mormon" candidate in 2012. I know this like I know my own family.

If it's McCain-Clinton, I'm going to have to think long and hard about that vote. I am very much tired of the Bush-Clinton merry-go-round.

And I do not believe Clinton would remove those troops very quickly at all.

As it stands, I'd vote for Obama - with some reservations - over either of them.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think he said not to dissolve the Iraqi army, argued against Rumsfeld that we needed a larger force, and called for the surge years before Bush listened. At the time, I thought Rumsfeld was right. I was wrong.

3. Guy_Incognito

If this was directed at me, many. Few voluntarily.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Because it's your vote. Because it's your duty as a good American citizen.

5. Guy_Incognito

Really? Why? If I thought both candidates were equally unappealing I would exercise my right not to vote, and sleep just fine. I've done it (once in a presidential) before.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It wasn't.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just giving him my reason as to why I vote. Even if it's deciding between the lesser of two evils, I do my homework and then vote.

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Because, on that ballot, there are probably issues that affect you personally, and you might want to have a say.

As for the presidential election...do what you gotta.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

That was one of the major points of Kerry's supporters - Michael Moore being the loudest among them - that "you're a fuckin' idiot if you're a Republican."

This would just be more of the same bullcrap, with the names changed.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

I think he is right on - and so was Hillary until she realized unless she went against the Iraq portion of the war on terror she would not be elected as a Democrat - in stating that our national security interests are best served by winning the war on terror, Iraq included.

I believe when you fight a war you fight with all you have to win, which is what George W. Bush didn't do from the outset. War is not waged as a politically correct confrontation, where one group tries its hardest to beat the enemy while at the same time trying to look good in the world's eye.

I also don't think McCain needs to prove this statement to be right, he's dead on: "Iraq is truly the test of a generation, for America and for our role in the world. Faced with similar challenges, previous generations of Americans have passed such tests with honor. It is now our turn to demonstrate that our power, ennobled by our principles, is the greatest force for good on earth today. Iraq's transformation into a secure democracy and a force for freedom in the greater Middle East is the calling of our age. We can succeed."
    It's just a matter of whether or not American citizens can handle the long road ahead, which according to polls from the last two or so years they don't seem to be willing to do that. Does it mean he is wrong? No. Does it mean he will have a tougher time getting the nation to buy into it, absolutely.
    Unlike Cheney, when asked how he feels about the polls and that a majority of Americans want out of there, I know he will at least give an honest answer. It won't just be "SO!"
    Does that mean that people will like what he has to say? No. But does he mean what he says, and believe it? Yes.

I don't know what else to say, except that I believe in the old man. I believe we are doing the right thing, and so does my cousin - who despite almost losing his leg because of a roadside bomb wants back into the field to fight with his team and for his country.

Will Iraq become a democracy? If that's what you are asking, I must say I highly doubt it. Is there a chance it could at the very least be a stable nation in a scary Middle East? Yes.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not sure that's enough of a reason.

I fear that anything on a ballot that could affect me personally will be overshadowed by pork.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I'll give you the best reason there is. So that you have tried your best to decide someone to lead your country.

If you do not vote, then you cannot complain for the next 4 years.

This is the process that leads to the benefits we enjoy in this country.

As for the "litmus" test, it started with the Bork hearings. It got so partisan that it was ridiculous. We used to appoint the best and the brightest to the Supreme Court, at least most of the time. Now, its Clarence Thomas, etc. and that's just sad.

Remember, its the Supreme Court that declared that the Constitution required Brown v. Board of Education and U.S. v. Miranda. Think of how our country would look nowadays without those two decisions.

Draft saved Draft deleted