1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama had a coke and a smile ... 12 years ago

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 5, 2007.

1. You bet. One guy's vague, and a demonstrable liar on top of it, and the other guy sacks up and talks about it on television.
    Of course I see the parallels.

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Richard Prior: Are the people laughing?
    Eddie Murphy: Yeah.
    RP: Are you getting paid?
    EM: Yeah.
    RP: Then you tell Bill to have a coke and a smile and shut the fuck up.
    (I know, I know, if you have to explain it ... but just in case anyone didn't get the reference)

3. I think the issue is more with Hannity and Novak acting like Hillary must have "leaked" this revelation to the press than whether Obama is defensible or not. That's immaterial here.

They're right, though. Either Hillary leaked it. ... OR ... and it's a big if, I suppose ... a Washington Post reporter, at some point, flew somewhere. Because both of Obama's books are ubiquitous at Hudson Booksellers at any airport in America.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This may be a bit blunt, but the guy has bigger barriers to hurdle than a little blow in his past. He's black. And he's got all of two years experience as a Senator. Not saying it's right--It depresses me that a good chunk of America will never vote for a black guy--but he is pretty unelectable.

I actually feel bad for the guy, in some ways. When he ran against Bobby Rush for a Congressional seat, Rush painted him as not black enough and beat him easily in the primary. So he could be one of those poor bastards who isn't black enough for black people, but too black for white people.

5. Things have changed a bit for him since then, Ragu. Go to one of his events and see. I was a skeptic, too, until I saw the effect in NH last month. He may not win, but he's not going to lose for the reasons he lost to Bobby Rush.

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I think the reason people mock Bush's cocaine use is that so much of his political career has been built on his supposed values and morals while his policies often have marginalized communities where drugs -- with which he has experience -- hurt the most.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It wouldn't surprise me if Hillary's camp leaked it... It's a little too early for the republicans to get involved. Not that they're above doing such a thing, but they would hang on to it for a time when it could do significant damage.

He did Coke, so what? If he was still doing it, I might take issue...

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

How is it a leak if he wrote about it in his own books?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because Sean Hannity and Bob Novak said it was.

Seriously. Check out the MM link. It's comedy gold.

10. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I don't think Hillary leaked anything. He already admited that he inhaled marijuana and tried cocaine in his book Dreams From My Father

11. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Just to clear things up for pallister, GWB's previous drug use has never been much of an issue for anyone.

It's the fact that illegal drug use now might actually improve his thought process, speaking ability and judgment that's the issue.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Not as full of it as people who continuue to support W despite the fact he's demonstrated utter
    incompetence a hundredfold . . . Not . . . Even . . . Close.

This is like worrying about a hangnail incurred by someone with incurable cancer . . . absurd.

Draft saved Draft deleted