1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama for Prez - 2008

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Let's be honest, Bush ran Texas and what do we know about that tenure? He signed off on a lot of killings. How many decisions do you think he made solo, and how many were made for him? Clinton ran Arkansas. His tenure is best described by this snippet from an SNL debate (Go Obama, is my message, obviously):

Sam Donaldson: Governor Clinton, let's be frank. You're running for president, yet your only experience has been as the governor of a small, backward state with a population of drunken hillbillies riding around in pickup trucks. The main streets of your capital city, Little Rock, are something out of L'il Abner, with buxom underage girls in their cutoff denims prancing around in front of Jethro and Billy Bob, while corncob-pipe-smoking, shotgun-toting grannies fire indiscriminantly at runaway hogs.

Bill Clinton: I'm sorry, Sam, do you have a question?

Sam Donaldson: My question is: How can you stand it? Don't you lose your mind living down there?

Bill Clinton: Sam, you must have watched too many of my opponent's TV spots. I'm tired of the Bush campaign trying to portray my home state as some sort of primitive Third World country. The fact is, Arkansas did have a long way to go, but we've made progress. When I started as governor, we were fiftieth in adult literacy, and last year, I'm proud to say, we shot ahead of Mississippi. We're #49, and we're closing fast on Alabama. Watch out, Alabama - we got your number!

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Dammit Pringle, you beat me to the Biden reference.
    That said, I wonder if those were his own words? lol

3. JFK once pointed out that, if the world held age and experience against people as young as he was, then Jefferson wouldn't have been allowed to write the Declaration, Madison wouldn't have been allowed to fashion the Constitution, and Columbus wouldn't have been allowed to sail to the New World.

4. joe

joe Active Member

Is that Sam or P.J. O'Rourke?

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

A very good point. I think a lot of people put a premium on experience early, but the last two presidents got elected with absolutely no Washington experience, except for Bush II's work as a campaign guy in his younger days.

Draft saved Draft deleted