1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Fights Smears With New Web Site

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Yeah. I was talking to a friend recently about how the internet has circumvented televisions influence on the voters...especially YOUNG voters more apt to find their political news online.

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not to nitpick, but what about Howard Dean? He had a pretty solid Internet presence, didn't he?

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What an election -- Panamanian born McCain vs. Kenyan-born Obama

4. I think that's the lesson from the Swift Boat guys. You have to get out in front of the rumors.
    If there's nothing to them, quash them early. If there is something there, give yourself the best spin possible as quickly as possible and hope it goes away.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yeah, that pterodactyl-scream video got played a lot on YouTube.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL!!!!

7. Many people think that McCain's comeback from early in the primaries was due mostly to McCain making himself available to bloggers who started putting out a very pro-McCain message. McCain is very media savvy. Look at the way he's handled his SNL appearances. Don't take it for granted that Obama will be the one to shine in live media appearances or debates.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I think McCain is a bit too late. He's proven himself to be a flip flopper by constantly contradicting himself. And his comments have been picked up on by many internet users.

If anything, the web has forced these candidates to be consistent and streamline their message, which I can say Barack has done to a greater degree than McCain.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's why it always has stunned me how people say that McCain is old and out of touch.

How many times has the guy been on The Daily Show? Hell, he's shown up when he knows they're going to trash him.

He was doing the late night talk shows regularly when he wasn't promoting something.

While Obama is an incredible public speaker, he still comes across as wooden on some of the shows. To be fair, McCain hasn't seemed as comfortable on shows like Ellen and Letterman whatnot and perhaps that's what we're going to see from both of them until November.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

He has to hype the website VERY AGGRESIVELY though for it to have the desired effect. If no one knows it is there......

11. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I love how everything that came out during a 12 month slugfest with Clinton is now blamed on dirty, sneaky Republicans.

It was fine then. Politics. Any rumors that start now, though — plus any mention of those started in the last 12 months — is Swift-boating trickery sure to send board members through the roof.

12. But not smart enough to register both the .com and .org versions of his website.

The .org is already a parody site. Rookie Internet mistake

Draft saved Draft deleted