1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama divorce story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, May 18, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Just thinking of my own five or six closest college friends, almost every one of them has been on the brink before - close enough to share it with me. It's odd, because my high school friends all seem to have happy marriages. I wonder if ambitious people feel a little more held down by having to sublimate their personal goals in service to the partnership? Or perhaps this is just a small sample size that doesn't reflect the divorce rates generally.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Actually that link Az posted should end all conversation on this topic. Worth a look as to what other "scoops" this writer has had.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend had something posted on FB yesterday about some publisher thing from 1991 that had bios on a bunch of authors, one being Obama, that said, "Barack Obama was born in Kenya, but raised in Hawaii and Indonesia."

I was like, "Good lord, let it go..."

4. Mizzougrad96

I think it is safe to say Klein's credibility is a huge reason why this book is being, for the most part, ignored...

5. Dick Whitman

I'm shocked that was never uncovered before. I wonder if somehow, through a game of inter-decade telephone, that's what triggered the birther movement to begin with. Something along the lines of, "I swear I read somewhere that he was born in Kenya ..."

6. Mizzougrad96

I think Breitbart's site had it. They spent the first several graphs of the story saying how Breitbart was never a "birther" and were basically kind of distancing themselves from what they found...

It's pretty funny, but who cares?

I'm not an Obama fan on any level, but I could give a fuck where he was born, and I've always felt that way.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thank God. The last gonna-be-divorced-any-minute president was re-elected in a landslide and would have easily won a third term.

8. Dick Whitman

The Breitbart site was basically accusing him of (inaccurately) selling himself as exotic and foreign when it was convenient to sell himself as exotic and foreign, i.e. when he was selling his life story to sell a memoir.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hah, I see what you did there

10. Mizzougrad96

Why do you think the pamphlet came out that way?

I don't care, but I don't think it's a forgery either...

11. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

The woman who wrote the blurb for the book publisher is on the record -- and has been for years -- saying she made a mistake.

Edit: wrong gender.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Or what about this AP story in 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040627142700/eastandard.net/headlines/news26060403.htm

unday, June 27, 2004

Kenyan-born Obama all set for US Senate

Kenyan-born US Senate hopeful, Barrack Obama, appeared set to take over the Illinois Senate seat after his main rival, Jack Ryan, dropped out of the race on Friday night amid a furor over lurid sex club allegations

Draft saved Draft deleted