1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama divorce story

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, May 18, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF is this about and who cares?
    http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/342738/20120518/obama-divorce-story-book-michelle-barack-biography.htm

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

People care. That is a reality.

But honestly, we have the first black president. We have had all kinds of presidential scandals regarding women that go back to the beginning of the Republic. We had JFK bonking everything in sight, while his wife was seemingly OK with the arrangement of their marriage. And we got through the 90s and Bill Clinton, in which it was clearly a marriage of convenience where each presumably got what they wanted from the relationship.

If Barack Obama is OK with his marriage -- whatever problems it has -- and Michelle Obama is OK with her marriage -- whatever problems it has -- it is their business, not mine. Whatever problems they have had -- if any -- are their problems. If anything, it just makes him human, which isn't a bad quality.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've got to imagine that political ambitions can really try a relationship, with the time involved and the potential lack of gratification/payoff. They had a very comfortable life available to them - she was making well into six figures at the law firm and then the hospital, and he could have been a tenure-track professor, at the university in their neighborhood, the second-highest playing university in America, any time he wanted. And that's about the most cush gig you can imagine. And instead he chose the grind of electoral politics.

Marriage-wise, my sympathies are with her in that situation.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Does anyone anywhere still take Edward Klein seriously?

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ssssssshhhhhhhhh ... we don't need to be talking about that!

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I just want to know if he was nice to everyone in high school.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm sure today he is a celebrated genius in some circles over on the far right.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There seem to be quite a few bombshells in this book.

But this book seems to be way, way, way off the public radar.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bombshells? That someone "almost" got divorced 12 years ago? Seriously, think about all the people you know who have been married 20 years, I guarantee there would be a time when some random "close observer" of their marriage would say it looks rocky. Sleeping on the couch, doghouse, insert cliche here.

Sarah Palin nailed Glen Rice. Now that's a bombshell.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Why, because he's black?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ex-wives, which Obama does not have (McCain), was not played up in the last election, and this is pretty far off the radar.

All of these stories are like trying to predict a Super Bowl winner by watching preseason games. Unless the QB breaks his arm, this is all filler in news cycles until October and November.

Draft saved Draft deleted