1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Death Squads

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Translation "I cannot give credit to decisions made by a President from the other party...."

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The 'intelligence' gleaned from the war in Iraq is that we could have paid Saddam $100 billion to go into quiet retirement in Switzerland, saved hundreds of thousands of lives and still had $900 billion left over to buy 401Ks and electric cars.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Ain't hindsight grand?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Plenty of folks were predicting the same in the spring of 2003.

5. doctorquant

I agree ... but it's (almost) always the case that someone's predicting something. But only with hindsight do we know they were right (or wrong). Twill ever thus be ...

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Do you not think that some predictions are more reasonable than others? More accurate? Better founded on the truths of human nature and recent history?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The prediction of Afghanistan being a quagmire was certainly accurate.

Time will tell on Iraq. It's still a work in progress. I think that war gave us a needed presence in the Middle East with the added bonus of eliminating a major world tyrant.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm a crazy ass Democrat and I question the value of ground wars in Iraq and Afghanistan that come with a price tag of 236,000 lives and $3 trillion-plus.

9. doctorquant

Of course they are ... but very unreasonable predictions come true sometimes, and reasonable ones falter. Given Saddam's history, the unreasonable prediction was that he could be bought off (IMO). The reasonable prediction was that he'd hang on with everything he had (and could possibly get). I am not debating the wisdom of the invasion, mind you. I am simply saying that only in hindsight does Saddam's (relatively easy) defeat become obvious. Subsequent developments? They were even less predictable.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That any war is going to be expensive, deadly and won't go to plan strikes you as "unpredictable?"

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Iran is still a problem but I do not think it's as big a one as it would be without our presence in Iran.

I also think that the oil market would be a bigger issue than it is now.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

We had a presence in the Middle East. In Saudi Arabia. That presence is one of the reasons bin Laden gave for attacking us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.