1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama campaign bans Ryan Lizza

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 21, 2008.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

The New Yorker was left off because it caters to an audience that is overwhelmingly going to vote Obama anyway. If I were running his campaign, I would have done the same thing.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fixed

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'd also like to see a list of the 40 outlets on the plane, if anyone can find it.

4. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

I'm not going to defend Obama on this one. At best, his campaign messed up by not realizing how this would appear. At worst, he's settling a score.

But if this is the worst thing Obama does, he's still way ahead of the McCain campaign, vis a vis fuckups on the trail.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Whether his camp is or he isn't being honest, this was an absolute no-win.

Obama and his people could be being completely honest as to why the New Yorker didn't get a credential, but with the way everything went down last week, people were going to jump up and down and say "You're not telling the truth" even if he was.

The thing is, with all of the frivolity that passes for campaign news, no-one will remember this a week from now.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

That cover was irresponsible. Maybe Obama is trying to hold journalists to a higher standard, maybe it's revenge or coincidence. I'm sure Lizza had nothing to do with the cover, but you're going to get lumped in. The most outraged person should be the reporter, because now his name is attached to some suits crap idea to sell more mags.

7. No it wasn't.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Yes it was irresponsible. It also backfired in its attempt at satire? Humor?

Actually, irresponsible is the PERFECT word for that cover.

9. It only "backfired" because the Obama campaign decided to use it as an opportunity to grandstand.

They should send The New Yorker a fucking thank-you card.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hope Newsweek doesn't lose their seat - Obama wasn't on the cover this week.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

The New Yorker does in fact retain a huge lnfluence, but those people get the same votes as the Joneses who read Cracked.

4 million readers of the New Yorker have no more power than 4 million readers of something else.

12. It's not the circulation. It's the impact of many of their stories. Seymour Hersh on Abu Ghraib, to cite one famous example.

Draft saved Draft deleted