1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama campaign bans Ryan Lizza

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WaylonJennings, Jul 21, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not only is it a D_B, but a locked D_B.
    Good luck with keeping yours open...

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/58918/

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Yes, they "banned" him along with 159 other reporters who did not receive credentials to fly on Obama's plane. To recap: 200 applied and 40 were chosen. I don't know about you, but I don't see the story there, regardless if it's Obama or McCain. I suppose it's a good starting point to express outrage about if that's your ultimate goal.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

It's definitely a story. Lizza has been following Obama for awhile now, and has written some excellent articles. The New Yorker is a weekly that devotes a lot of ink to this campaign. The New Yorker has also covered the "war on terror" better than anyone, not to mention the Israel-Palestinian skirmishes. It's obviously a payback move.

4. How many of those others just published a 15,000-word piece on him?

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

It's simple. If they are keeping the New Yorker off the plane because of the cartoon, it's an abuse of power. If it's for some other reason -- and not just one used as an excuse -- then it's not terrible.

Either way, since this has come out, the Obama campaign should come out and say this isn't payback -- which is what the Bush administration is so good at. Why, hello Valerie, that's a lovely scarf.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

To say that this was payback when four out of every five reporters who applied were rejected does not make any sense to me, especially without the context of how they usually dole out credentials.

Very few of those others published a 15,000-word piece on him, because very few publications have that kind of space. I'm not sure what your point is with the word count, but it sounds like a red herring.

7. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

An abuse of power? Do you mean the power to choose who rides on your airplane?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course it's a story.

But of course it will get locked.

9. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The Washington Post is on the plane, and its editorial board ripped Obama last week.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Who pays for the flights? Campaign? News outlets? I know the logistics are a nightmare, but are 2 planes not feasible?

11. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I'm an Obama guy, but if you don't think this is some kind of payback, you're naive or just uninformed. Not banning the Washington Post isn't the same. You can't ban the Post, that would be political suicide. And a slam in the Op-Ed page is not the same as the New Yorker cover they're pissed about.

Obama, and his campaign staff, have been annoyed by Lizza's reporting before, and they're trying to send a message. You can ban the New Yorker, because it's a magazine, not a paper of record, like the WaPo.

EDIT: While I still think it was a slap to Lizza, the more I think about it, I wonder if the New Yorker even needs to be there, seeing as Lizza writes more big-picture stuff and this trip would do nothing but give him a small story for the front and provide color and some anecdotes for a future story. Also, not sure how long ago they made decisions on who goes, who doesn't.

Draft saved Draft deleted