1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama and more rebate checks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jun 10, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, I am done with this motherfucker.
    http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/09/news/economy/obama_economy_changetour/?postversion=2008060915

Obama: Give economy $50 billion boost
    With a big jump in the unemployment rate and record oil prices, Barack Obama says he wants to extend benefits for those out of work and send out more rebate checks.

Stimulus checks.
    Just more of what got us here in a slightly different package:
    Let's once again try to use pieces of paper to convince people that they're getting wealthier when by real measures they're getting poorer.

What this nation really needs is yet another excuse for avoiding the hard-work, education, and innovation that leads to real wealth.

We need to foster economic activity through short-sighted, impulse driven consumption rather than promoting thoughtfully planned investment aimed at maximum future wealth and efficiency in resource utilization.

What's most important is for politicians to find the best way to bribe consumers into voting for them with a convincing sounding quick fix for very deep rooted problems. [/sarcasm]

I was fooled for a few minutes that this doofus was a bit of fresh air. Just another empty politician with promises of ponies for everyone. Is it really that hard to understand that wealth can only be created by the production of goods and services, not by printing more checks on an overdrawn bank account?

2. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Well said Poin.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Vehicle for change indeed.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . thus equalling Fredo's assholery, in this area.

Not good to see . . . but if he wins, you're going to see some FDR-style wrinkles, no doubt.

5. You can make a good argument for extending unemployment benefits, given the struggling economy, but more rebate checks? I don't know.

BTW, no one -- despite what you hear -- is saying Obama is perfect. He has flaws, He will make mistakes. I, for one, expect that.

I don't like this at all. As the article states, the benefits of the first rebate checks is unknown at this time. Why not wait a while to see if it really did have a positive impact?

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Anybody ever hear that U of Michigan announcer after he goes to a commercial as the Wolverines were losing another Rose Bowl? It was something like: I can't believe we are going to lose another GODDAMNED GAME OUT HERE!!

That's the same way I feel about these pathetic excuses for leaders of the country we trot out every four years.... I can't believe I am going choose between another two GODDAMNED PIECES OF SHIT AGAIN!!!

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Obama's going to make some bad moves.

Not today, but in a while, I'll roll out a thread isolating one (domestic tax policy) mistake I am dead-solid certain he's going to make . . . and he'll do it for the usual boneheaded, horseshit, liberal reasons.

And the guy is STILL the best, most positive option we've been presented with, in many years.

8. Poin,

I just PMed you my address so you can forward me your rebate check.

Thanks.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And yet he's no different than any other president in my lifetime. People voting for him because they think he'll bring change to Washington are in for a massive letdown.

10. He'll bring change. He's a Democrat, the current president is Republican.That's enough for me and about millions of others.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Having someone who's not a Dick Cheney handpuppet will be such a relief, there'll be dancing in the streets.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I still haven't gotten my first stimulus check, so I eagerly await a second.
    It could become a race, which check gets here first.

Draft saved Draft deleted