1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama administration will no longer defend DOMA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

FH, look at the polling data I posted. If the polling is accurate, it looks like it would still fall short of a popular majority at 44 percent for, 55 percent against.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I think young voters would turn out en masse. Regardless of what your polling data says. My hunch is it would pass.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Well, it's not my polling data.

I don't know enough about the methodology by CNN, or polling science in general, to strongly agree or disagree with you here.

I'd love to see Nate Silver or another polling/election science expert do an analysis. It probably wouldn't be that difficult. Compare polling phrased the same way in states that have had popular referendums on the issue to the actual election results.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would hope it would, I'd like to see it happen. I think that's the best way to get people to accept it.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Right now, it would probably fail.

And, the biggest obstacle would be the lack of support -- and even outright hostility -- in the African-American and Hispanic communities.

6. I don't think there is any way it would pass.
    While many, many folks my age and younger do NOT see this as a big deal the major voting block of the country, older folks and religious zealots on this issue would be out in droves to choke the life out of this.

Glad to see the administration comes to its senses though.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I found this article helpful in laying out what this means: http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2011/02/obamas-gay-marriage-test.html

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

YankeeFan pulling the race card!

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're joking, right?

I'm just stating a fact. You can't avoid demographics if you're going to talk about politics.

What's interesting/odd/different is that it's two large blocks in the Democratic coalition who they can usually rely on for support.

In fact, where it was on the ballot in 2008, Obama's popularity hurt gay marriage initiatives. He drew a large turnout in the African-American community who were eager to vote for him but who also voted against gay marriage.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He's not at all. I don't have the numbers in front of me, nor do I care enough to look for them, but there are stats to back up his claim.

It's the same deal with the the elderly being against it as well.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Uh . . . good thing there wasn't a national referendum in 1958.

National referendums are a bad idea. Tyranny of the majority, and all that.
    Very bad business.

12. J Staley

J Staley Member

To me those type of arguments sound like lawyers trying to justify their religion-based view on gay marriage, while hiding the religion. These lawyers don't want to use religion because that is obviously afoul of the Constitution.

Reminds me of the birthers. There is no proof that Obama was born any place but America, yet these people hold on to it for made up reasons because they don't want to be ridiculed for their real beliefs -- that they're uncomfortable with a Democratic and/or black president with an Arabic sounding name.

If people were interested in making laws that fostered better home environments then there should be a lot of straight people banned from having kids, while plenty of gays would be allowed.

Draft saved Draft deleted