1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Administration launches "Attack Watch"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 13, 2011.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

No but encouraging you to rat out other people is pretty close and probably is just the beginning of more paranoid behavior that will reach Nixon proportions. Ask the White House press corps right now what they think of the touchiness of the Obama administration.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

They were?

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Snuff out stories or snuff out dissent?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So this Obama guy running for president isn't the one who is in the White House?

Damn, what are the odds of TWO guys named Barack Obama running for president?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't every bureaucracy get touchy? I kind of expect them all to get all sensitive about stories that aren't flattering. That's the norm. The Bush press people were no different. You just roll your eyes and move on.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's not "semantics." There's a difference between an administration and a campaign.

I suppose Obama COULD just ask people to stop making up bullshit. But you and yours aren't going to do that, so here we are. And I wouldn't ask the White House press corps what time it is. Idiots, all of them.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sigh.

You knew damn well what I meant, but in case you didn't, I'll spell it out: I expect false, ginned-up outrage about the fact that he is both candidate and president to reach disproportionate levels.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I will also point out that a candidate knows what his campaign is putting out on his behalf whether he's president or not. Let's not pretend he had no knowledge of this.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When the Swift Boaters made the story up of Kerry never being in Cambodia in 1968, Kerry should have snuffed it out right away.

Kerry was clear even in 1986 speech to Congress that he was in Cambodia as part of Nixon secret war:

"I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting in a gunboat in Cambodia," said Kerry on the Senate floor. "I remember what it was like to be shot at by Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the president of the United States tell the American people I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia. I have the memory which is seared – seared – in me. … "

10. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Dear Base,

Hi! How are you? Wow. Time has really passed. We haven't talked since, what? Inauguration Day? I've sure missed you!

Now, I know we haven't always seen eye to eye. But now isn't the time to start pointing fingers. I don't think it really matters which one of us never got around to closing the prison at Gitmo, or decided that they could live with the Patriot Act after all. All that does matter is that it's time for everyone to stop moping about and get back on the bus. Because, let's face it. If we lose next year. our cold, distant disdain for all you angry hippie types will seem like a warm embrace compared to the sheer hellfire of our Satanic Republican successor.

But let's not think about that either (or those eight years of Bush Jr... much.) Let's go get those names... and keep hope alive!

Love (in a moderate, hopefully centrist enough way),

The Obama Campaign

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Or, they could be the grown-ups they pretend to be and accept that fact that every president is vilified, attacked, made fun or be the subject of abounding rumors, stay above it and work on more important things - like the poverty level and the horrid black unemployment rate.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Obama's already tried to be the grown-up in the room.

All he's gotten is attacked for not letting the kiddies watch TV all day long.

Draft saved Draft deleted