1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Administration launches "Attack Watch"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Apparently, they're rather cognizant of the political attacks - perhaps TOO cognizant ready to take the political initiative.

Received the following e-mail today (apologies for my lack of hyperlink skills):

(Name Redacted) --

If you're someone who cares about seeing a campaign focused on substance between now and November 2012, I need you to become a part of one of our most important teams.

It's called AttackWatch.com, and it launches today.

Here's the deal: We all remember the birth certificate smear, the GOP's barrage of lies about the Affordable Care Act, and the string of other phony attacks on President Obama that we've seen over the past few years.

There are a lot of folks on the other side who are chomping at the bit to distort the President's record. It's not a question of if the next big lie will come, just when -- and what we're prepared to do about it.

AttackWatch.com is exactly what it sounds like: a resource that allows us to nip these attacks in the bud before they show up on the airwaves and in emails -- and then fight back with the truth.

By signing up, you'll be on the front lines -- you'll hear about false claims as soon as they come up, and we'll count on you to spread the truth to your friends and personal networks and let us know about new smears whenever you hear them.

Will you sign up now to be a part of AttackWatch.com?

Yes, I want to be on the team that fights back. (http://my.barackobama.com/page/s/o2012-join-attack-wire?source=20110913_JM_nd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=obama&utm_campaign=20110913_JM_nd&keycode=)

Not right now, but I'll donate $5 to fund the 2012 campaign and support this work. (https://donate.barackobama.com/page/contribute/o2012-attackwatch-donate-alt?source=20110913_JM_nd&utm_medium=email&utm_source=obama&utm_campaign=20110913_JM_nd&keycode=)

I remember the smears from 2008 well, and I'm sure you do, too.

They didn't just attack Barack Obama and Joe Biden. They went after everything this movement is built on, and everyone who supports it.

This time, they're not just out to personally attack the President -- they're also out to mislead Americans about the record of accomplishments that he's compiled. Just the other day, a Republican financier actually quoted Saddam Hussein in telling a group of millionaire donors that defeating President Obama will be "the mother of all wars."

We're launching AttackWatch.com today to make sure we're ready for the attacks we know are coming -- and armed with the ability to fight back quickly.

http://my.barackobama.com/Join-Attack-Watch

Thanks,

Messina

Jim Messina
    Campaign Manager
    Obama for America

2. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

Dear President,

Get something done during the next year of your presidential term (we did elect you for four years, didn't we, not 2 years and 10 months with the other months reserved for re-election?) and most of the voters won't pay attention to the attacks.

Sincerely, Silver.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Dear "Messina,"

It's champing.

Sincerely,

IJAG

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm going to start a rumor that they've started planning for his Presidential Library -- a clear admission that they know he's going to be a one term President and need to get going on it.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I heard he actually sucks at basketball.

6. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Active Member

I heard the email Piotr received had a distinctly anti-American font.

7. YankeeFan

And golf.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sigh. Doesn't this administration have anything better to do than come awfully close to Nixon-like tactics?

9. LongTimeListener

Calling bullshit in a public forum is like breaking and entering and secretly spying on political enemies?

10. YankeeFan

I'm guessing he meant it terms of an "enemies list".

But, while everyone has some version of an "enemies list" this kind of thing will focus on the blogosphere and other non-traditional media in the hopes of snuffing out stories before they his the main stream media -- or even FOX, and the major talk radio shows.

11. LongTimeListener

If they're trying to snuff out stories before they go mainstream, this sounds like a pretty stupid idea -- Fox and talk radio stories are just going to check the site, figure out what the administration is "debunking" and then tell the pre-debunked version.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

900 days and 100 gazillion Koch Bros dollars short.

Keep bending over. Wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted