1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Administration Justifies Targeted Killings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not sure how you're divining motive here.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm surprised people aren't calling for impeachment like they were when the previous president was in the same situation.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Should be "frog marched" into a courtroom, right Magic?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sadly the previous president established the precedent whereby no one much bothers to argue the Constitution or the Geneva Conventions as long as most Americans feel mostly safe, and have ongoing access to the dollar menu at Taco Bell.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Obama was a professor of constitutional law. I honestly don't think he really believes the legal justification put forward by his administration.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The previous President established "The War on Terror" which thankfully Obama has continued, which no doubt has been a factor in only seeing a few terrorists attacks since 2001. Bush was clear in his SOU of 2003 that what he was starting would not be finished on "his watch".

When Obama was running for President I don't think he realized the scale of what he was facing in fighting terror. Clearly he has changed his philosophy.

Politically it does not hurt him because it's an issue The Republicans favor and that The Democrats will stay mum on, even though they castigated Bush for his "trashing of The Constitution".

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Worse than Bush?

www.salon.com/2012/03/07/nsa_whistle_blower_obama_worse_than_bush/singleton/

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One set of rules for me, one set of rules for thee.

Yet, we want to give more and more power to government. No government can amass so much power and not abuse it.

The admissions process to top performing schools in Chicago, and to the University of Illinois has been completely politicized. (The granting of scholarships has been too.) It's all about who you know, power, and influence.

Yet, we'll give government power over our healthcare and student loans.

Soon, you'll have to be an insider to get treated at a good hospital, to see good doctor, or to get a student loan.

Draft saved Draft deleted