1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Obama Administration Justifies Targeted Killings

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Pierce won't be invited to the WH anytime soon . . . but good for him. It needed to be said, and emphatically, because there isn't anyone in the world I would trust with this level of unilateral power.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Indeed - good for him. I'm trying to find the column, but as I recall Pierce was off the rails about Bush and his trashing of civil liberties / Patriot Act.

It would have been disappointing if he was not consistent although that does seem to be a liberal trait.

Funny how Az's link to column slammed the brakes on this discussion. I suspect that many of the board liberals are drinking heavily today.

I won't bother naming names, but for some real fun type "Patriot Act" into SJ search function.

I wonder if Alec Baldwin is looking towards Canada again.

3. Boom_70

Strong column in Salon by Glen Greenwald denouncing
    Obama's U.S citizen execution plan.

http://www.salon.com/2012/03/06/attorney_general_holder_defends_execution_without_charges/singleton/

"That the same Party and political faction that endlessly shrieked about Bush’s eavesdropping and detention programs now tolerate Obama’s execution program is one of the most extreme and craven acts of dishonesty we’ve seen in quite some time."

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Most of the shrieking was about American citizens IN AMERICA.

A lot of people around the world need to be made dead, and I've always been fine with that (much of the Kumbyah Korps, of course, has not). A prime example being Saddam Hussein, 1991.

The problem with Team Bush, Pere et Fils, is they have always been real bad at picking out the people who need to be made dead without taking years and years to do it, and making a hell of a lot of other people dead at the same time.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"They volunteered"

-- The Littleist of the Dicks

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Again, if you weren't opposed to the erosion of international convention and US constitutional law under the last administration - especially in the face of all the 'slippery slope' arguments made at the time - shaddup.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The neocons just went all queer over it when it was Fredo and Little Dick pulling the strings.

9. Boom_70

Just the same, if you were aghast at Bush trashing of civil liberties then start screaming.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I have, long since.

And am thus disinclined to the gloating of the patriotic bedwetters and security-at-any-price cowards like Krauthammer or Kristol who got us here.

11. Boom_70

Eric Holder kinda sorta admits to Justice Dept memo approving killing.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/09/us/a-not-quite-confirmation-of-a-memo-approving-killing.html?scp=3&sq=Holder&st=cse

12. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

At least with Team Bush this is something they might genuinely believe in. That is, in good faith, they think this policy will make America and the world a safer place.

With Team Obama, it's "...Well, we can't let ourselves be painted as weak, so what the heck...."

Draft saved Draft deleted