1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oakland's Stewart breaks up Curt Schilling's no-hit bid w/ 2 outs in 9th

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jun 7, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Good point.

2. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Considering nearly that exact thing happened to Schilling a few years ago and he went apeshit over it, I'll suggest he wouldn't have taken it well.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The crowd certainly got their money's worth for that series though. First Ellis's cycle, and now a no-hit bid. Those are some exciting nights to be in the park.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/diamondbacks/2001-05-27-schilling.htm

5. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I don't know if the situation was the same as the game in Oakland, though. There's a big difference between 5-0 and 1-0.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Was 2-0 at the time.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Don't bunt to break up a no hitter.

Just my opinion.

8. In a 1-0 game? Do whatever it takes to get on base.

9. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Ichiro wouldn't bunt in that situation. He'd foul off a bunt to bring the third baseman in and then try to bloop one over his head.

But to answer your question, 1-0, whatever your best means of getting to first, you try it. Turn your shoulder into a pitch, lay down a bunt, step out of the box as late as possible to annoy and distract the pitcher...it's all fair enough. You want him pitching from the stretch, which he hasn't had to do much today at all. The point is to win the ballgame.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Sorry but in a 2-0 game, if it means bringing the potential tying run to the plate, it's worth a shot. Not only that, but if you've got Luis Castillo or Juan Pierre or Joey Gathright or someone like that who knows how to bunt, then that makes it all the more worth it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Man up and swing the bat.

In a playoff game, all that's out the window. But once you're past the fifth or sixth in a regular season game, I think you owe the pitcher an honest at bat.

The thing with bunting is that you can force a difficult hit/error situation a lot more often, and that, to me, makes it bush league.

I do think it makes a difference -- at least, it can be defended -- if you're a guy who bunts for a hit on a regular basis.

Again, just my opinion. I can see other folks' arguments...

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

It's not about manning up, it's about winning games. And if you've got someone like a Luis Castillo who might bunt for hits on a routine basis, I'm sorry, but that's fair game. That would honest at-bat for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted