1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. murder weapon found?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 4, 2016.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

He saw her with Goldman.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Still one of the most amazing times of my life. I was still living out there as all this went down. The Chase was the night before my wedding. The trial was off-the-wall incredible for its time in terms of coverage. A local channel interrupting regular programming to air the trial live? At the time, unprecedented. I was in Vegas when the verdict came down. To think of something like this happening in this day and age would be mind-boggling in its scope in terms of coverage/analysis/rumors, etc. Still, incredibly fascinating, 22 years on.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Maybe you were of that mindset, but it sounds an awful lot like revisionist history. Juries simply were not well versed in DNA evidence at the time and Dennis Fung did nothing to help the prosecution convince the jury that it is as rock solid as it is.

Also, as I remember it (and I haven't thought about it much since watching it live back while I was in high school), there were questions about the chain of custody of the DNA evidence as well.

The DNA evidence was not nearly the determining factor in 1995 that it is today.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The prosecution was so enamored over all the DNA evidence that they just hammered and hammered the jury with it to the point of unbearable tedium. They should have just explained in just a couple of days that the fucker's blood is everywhere and ended it right there. Instead, by dragging everything out so long they pissed off the jury and created openings for the defense to question every aspect of the handling of it.

5. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

It was a very new to courtrooms in 1995.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Neither the DNA nor anything else mattered. In post-riot LA, a nearly all-black jury was not going to convict. Whatever small chance there was went out the window with the Fuhrmann tapes.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Can nobody get the Kardashian girls' views on this important development?

Jesus. We're losing time here.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Not only that, but there were eight black WOMEN on the jury. There's nothing black women hate more than some blonde, white bimbo stealing one of their men, and a rich, famous one at that.

The defense knew that, and set up the jury so that there was little sympathy for Nicole. The prosecution figured black women would want to take a stand against domestic violence, but in 1994-95 at least, that wasn't the case.

9. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Steak, at least according to the miniseries (which surely partly fictionalized), Johnnie Cochran said the defense strategy in jury selection was to try for black males over black females, while of course prioritizing blacks over whites in all instances. He feared that black women might blame O.J. for marrying a white woman rather than one of their own. Though the effect seemed to have been as you say, that these particular black women ended up "blaming" Nicole more than O.J. for the black man/hot white woman dynamic, and thus sympathized less with her for the abuse she sustained. But (and again, I'm only getting this from the FX series) it wasn't like the defense entered the trial thinking a black female was their absolute ideal juror, but rather their second choice – black male, then black female, then everyone else.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yep, and the defense was wrong. Toobin's book goes into much more detail.

Marcia Clark had tried several cases involving domestic violence, in which she believed she had developed a rapport with black, female jurors. The difference in this case was the defendant was a celebrity who was universally admired, and again, one who was married to a white woman.

I mean, more than 20 years later people in general -- and black women in particular -- looking the other way at domestic violence is still an issue. Ray Rice's fiancée still married him, after all.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted