1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo took money from an agent before college? Shocked, I tell you.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 11, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

I can think of one person. :)

2. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

It's the NBA's rule, but the NCAA is gleefully accepting the one-and-done kids.

3. Slash

Slash Member

Where did this Johnson guy write? He seems too smart to throw away a career to be mixed up in this garbage.

Did you see some of the pics taken with him and Mayo. I think he forgot hes an old man. He clearly wasnt thinking straight.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And certainly softball. Division I coaches go to select tournaments to scout and usually don't even mess with high school.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

You know what would be funny? If the NBA kept its 19-year old rule, but the NCAA implemented a new rule requiring college players to stay in college three years, much like they do with baseball.

The athletes' heads would spin until they blew up. Or the junior-college system would get a hell of a lot better.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Girls volleyball also. Recruiting at the highest levels barely goes through the high school coaches.

Some travel-team baseball coaches are demanding players choose as well, and its negative effect on (overworked) pitchers is well-documented.

Really, the only team sport where all recruiting and varsity glory are in high school is football.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

With all due respect, only three starters in that series made the jump straight from high school. The other seven spent at least three years in college or came from Europe. Why KG, LeBron and Kendrick Perkins are the sole reason it's a wretched series, I'm not sure.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Don't bother he doesn't see reason.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sounds like Louis Johnson was planting the seeds for a fiduciary relationship with Mayo well in advance:

"During a photo shoot for the newspaper, Johnson said, he allowed Chandler to wear a T-shirt that promoted the apparel company owned by one of Guillory's friends, and Guillory appreciated the gesture. Johnson and Guillory remained acquaintances as Guillory began organizing high school basketball tournaments. Johnson sometimes wrote about Guillory's tournaments for the newspaper as their paths continued to cross."

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

ESPN at it again: Kelly Naqi asks Mayo if he'd like to talk, privately and one-on-one, about the benefits he's received.

With, of course, the cameras rolling on the requet.

Christ. Way to cheapen a decent piece in 20 seconds, clowns.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

It's Major League Baseball's rule that a player can get drafted after HS, but if the player doesn't choose to sign, they have to wait three years. It's not the NCAA's rule.

Plus, the NCAA cannot force athletes to attend college for a certain length. There's that certain thing called freedom of choice. Spencer Haywood already destroyed the NCAA's four-year rule in the 1970s.

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Devil's example is hilarious: The Celtics and Cavs, you know, the series featuring two of the best players in the league. Two players who NEVER WENT TO COLLEGE.

Draft saved Draft deleted