1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo took money from an agent before college? Shocked, I tell you.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 11, 2008.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

OK, I give.

The system is fine.

You are all right. Any suggestions to fix it are worthless.

The NBA and college basketball is so much better now than it was 20 years ago.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

OJ Mayo receiving benefits should not be blamed on "the system." OJ Mayo received benefits because of some hangers-on who hoped to profit off him if and when he reaches the pros. This is not the place to revive the tired arguments about kids staying in school.

Yes, the one and done rule is stupid. But the individual schools are responsible for deciding whether or not they will take such kids.

As far as going to school, every individual young athlete should make the choice that is best for them.

And I'm not sure if you heard, 93Devil, but the NBA has established a developmental league.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They aren't taking part in extracurricular programs that bring in millions of dollars and stimulate intense fan, alumni and booster interest and pride in the outcome.

Nobody cares if Daily Campus Journal is named the best student-run newspaper in the country, or if the student station at the University of Podunk is adored for its college rock cred. It just doesn't translate and only a 100 percent foof would attempt to make the comparison.

4. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I'm just starting to think that whole cute story about Mayo called Floyd out of the blue and said he was going to USC might have been a little bit more involved. That's just me though.

Let's hope Lil' Romeo can ball, they might need him when they lose some 'ships.

5. 93Devil

But they only develop the dregs that cannot knock a 12th man off of the bench.

But it's working!!!

6. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The NCAA has many flaws, but don't let Mayo get off like he's an innocent youngster who was unable to distinguish between one regulation and another. He's just another cheat and more than likely there's plenty like him in an athletic department that just decided to look the other way.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Surprised Forde's response piece hasn't been posted yet.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3390757&sportCat=ncb

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Players have been getting under-the-table goodies from day one. The fact that Mayo was paid ain't a shock. Guaranteed, Beasley and Rose and others pocketed something other than a free college education this past season.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Devil, there's a Sam Gilbert from UCLA on line 1 for you.

10. 93Devil

That's right, UCLA (30 years ago by the way) won so many titles when other teams pissed away nine-point leads with two minutes left in the title game.

I also remember Bird and Magic shooting 13-for-58 over the three game strech. That happened all the time.

There has been cheating in college basketball since the ball was round, but the quality of play has never been better.

11. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You're sarcastically saying the system is fine, when it's just as shady as it's always been.

But you keep campaigning. Return college basketball and all its glory.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

First off, I don't know exactly what a foof is, but I'm sure it's not too kind.

Secondly, what you're saying is that students should only be paid if the school doesn't make a profit off their talents? Isn't this a tad backwards? If anything, these student athletes at schools like USC, Ohio State, e.t.c. should get MORE than their newspaper counterparts because the school, it's fans and alumni are substantially benefitting from them.

I concur with those of you that said these students are getting a free ride, room and board, and that's a form of payment, but how is it different than another student earning a full ride academically? A person with a strong SAT score and solid class ranked worked just as hard at what he/she does, proved it through a series of tests and is now being rewarded by entering a top college that is known for said program (be it advanced studies like Brown or advanced football like USC).

The difference here is that, if the academic kid went out and got a job, in addition to maintaining their studies, that utilized their abilities, there would be no consequence. They wouldn't be penalized and risk their eligibility to someday become a doctor because they interned at a hospital, for example. But if Mr. Football goes out and makes some money based on his ability to catch the ball and gets paid to sponsor some shoes or clothing accessories he uses, then the school gets in several shitloads of trouble.

So, yes if Mayo took money, he is wrong for breaking the rules. But no, I won't side against him because the rules are bullshit to begin with, you all know it, and you'd have to be a foof to think otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted