1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo took money from an agent before college? Shocked, I tell you.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spinning27, May 11, 2008.

1. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3390695

On Outside the Lines right now. Unfortunately, this is the shit that goes on when the NBA won't let kids go straight to the league and NCAA happily accepts the one-and-done crowd.

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Very disappointing. That is all.

3. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Exactly ... disappointing and sad on levels that go far beyond O.J. Mayo. For some of us, this story isn't about him.
    Disappointing, indeed.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

SC is also being penalized two scholarships becfause of dismal academic performance in basketball. Nice job by Tim Floyd; who would have ever expected that OJ Mayo would do something like that?

5. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I really don't blame OJ as much in this as Ron Guillory. OJ was just doing what a lot of very talented kids do when they become accustomed to getting plane tickets and clothes and shoes from AAU programs, which are funded by the shoe companies anyway. Are we really going to expect kids who grew up with nothing to know the difference? (It's OK to take from this guy, but bad to take from that guy??? Come on.)

Everybody in basketball knows the game. You give kids enough so that they are reeled in by guys like Guillory, who will deliver them to the agents when they turn pro. For the most part, college coaches aren't even part of the equation. What's Tim Floyd supposed to do? Say no? Tell the kid he can't come play at USC?

The amazing part of this story is how fucking greedy and arrogant Guillory is. First of all, Bill Duffy has to cut off the money supply because he spent too much, which is hilarious. Then, he supposedly gets around $250K but only spends about $30K of it on OJ. Then, when he decides he can't split the money with this other dude, he obviously thinks the dude is going to just go away silently. Big, big mistake.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thirded.

Feels like getting punched in the gut. And I'm no USC fan.

7. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Am I missing something? Why is this so devastating?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

I'm with Broadway Joe on this one. Care to elaborate, guys?

9. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Can't speak for Piotr or Claws, but Louis Johnson is a former sportswriter and I've crossed paths with him several times throughout the years. I've always thought of him to be a standup guy and someone who I had a ton of respect for. I hate seeing someone who I consider being a good guy get himself mixed up in shit like this.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Second Tripp's post.

Louis is someone who was pretty respected among his SoCal prep and recruiting journalism peers. And now it turns out that he's just another hanger-on, jobless entourage guy. And now, unfortunately for him and his possible future safety, he's a snitch. A smart snitch who covered himself well, but a snitch.

With a cocaine arrest.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Thanks, guys. Now the other posts make sense.

12. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

NCAA is gonna be so pissed at USC that they'll probably give Alabama State the death penalty. </crossthread>

Draft saved Draft deleted