1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo technical foul video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, Jan 30, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He is now officially ready for the
    University of
    Spoiled
    Children.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

1) First T was legit. He dunked and carried the ball for about 12 feet the other way before he was given the tech. A delay of game call? Perhaps.

2) Second T was garbage. I watched this part of the clip like 10 times and paused it; he didn't bump anyone or say anything.

3) The flopping ref was such a damn joke.

4) We only see 10 seconds of playing, 40 seconds of Mayo/ref/skirmish, and then all the other crap after he was ejected. What happened earlier in the game? Was OJ flappin' his gums to another player? the ref? another ref? We don't know that. Perhaps the ref was waiting for the opportune moment to T him up because of previous actions/words in the game? Not malignant, just arrogant, maybe. Now should the ref T him up based on that stuff rather than crap happening earlier in the game? Well, he shouldn't, but I guess that's a judgement call.

3. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

there's something to put on my resume! ;D

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

First of all, HOLY CRAP I AGREE WITH JUNKIE!

Secondly, the last line made me laugh out loud.

Thirdly, spot on.

5. Jones

Jones Active Member

I'll agree with IJAG, so long as she gets rid of the giant picture of Jenry.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Mmmm giant Jenry....GODDAMMIT HE'LL BE LEGAL INSIDE OF TWO YEARS!

And it's not that big. It's smaller than PDB's damn scary Al Davis photo.

7. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

This is from the Herald-Dispatch message board. Take it for what it's worth, I suppose.

HI my name is Mark from Fairmont, WV

The Video that everyone is looking at is mine and I shot with my Sony Digital 8 camcorder. Then I put it to DVD

I gave this to DVD to WBOY in Clarksburg, WV and with my permission they gave it to other NBC Stations. Thats how channel 3 got it in the Huntington area. I have been on the phone talking to channel 3. Very Nice people in the sports dept.

This Video is getting a lot of play time in my area. Sport fans in the state care about our WV PLayers.

My copy is much better and very clear. The internet version is hard to see. The Tv version is better...but again... mine is clear.

OJ did not say anthing when he got his second TO...and ejected from the game. The other two REFS. were both standing beside OJ and did nothing.

watch the video again. See how the REF. looks to make that second call. And the FALL...wow...again...it looks better on my Digital then what you are seeing.

My Video was taken where I sat in ROW A right at center court.
    only thing in front of me were two radio stations guys..and a few other people that sat at a table.

OJ needs to go and play his games and not sit out any of them.

The Video should show this.

PS. if this was PRO FOOTBALL...the tape would be looked at..and the REFs call would be overturned.

Mark from Fairmont, wv

8. statrat

statrat Member

...Junkie has stolen my thunder. I agree completely.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I saw Mayo play for the first time since 8th grade three weeks ago. He is the real deal. He is everything I heard about him and more. He's on a completely different level from every other kid that's ever on the court, whether it's his teammate or not.

OJ Mayo is as sure of a thing as any kid that's ever made the jump from HS-to-Pro or one-year and out-to pro, including LeBron.

I'd even say that at this point in their respective careers (HS Seniors), Mayo is more complete than LeBron was. The only thing that makes them different is Lebron's height.

10. aunt jemima

aunt jemima New Member

I'm with Junkie and IJAG here.

A lot of people seem to projecting and injecting a lot of baggage that has nothing to do with what actually happened in the video.

11. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Disclaimer: I grew up in Huntington. Attended a year at HHS before moving. Big fan of their team this season (yeah, I know fairweather, but I don't care). And yes, Mayo is probably a coddled punk.

My opinion: The first T was deserved. He dunked, looked to jaw at somebody, and carried the ball away instead of leaving it or tossing it to the ref.

But he did the right thing at that point. He walked away. When his teammates started jawing with the other team at center court, he walked over there. But the second T was completely undeserved (unless he said something). In which case he deserves whatever suspensions are coming his way.

But that supposed ref bump is something else.

From the video, I can't tell for sure that he even touched the ref. And if he did, it wasn't in an agressive manner -- it was in a manner of he was walking behind the ref, following him, trying to find out why he got the second T, and the ref stopped, right in front of Mayo, who may have inadvertantly bumped into him very gently.

But I think that obvious flop is the most telling part of the whole thing. There's no way, if the ref was touched at all, that he was hit hard enough to fall the way he did. Which means he knew what he was doing by falling, and did it on purpose. He was getting his 15 minutes by nailing the nation's top player, he knew it, he exagerrated the fall, and probably was looking for any reason to go after Mayo from the game's start. Here's the proof, from the statement the HHS coach made about the incident following the game, from the Herald-Dispatch site:

""Beginning of game, Referee Lazo tells me that O.J. Mayo better not talk with him tonight because he is not going to put up with him at all. He said he needs to keep his mouth shut.

During game, Lazo initiates conversations with Mayo. Mayo is on the line during a foul shot conversing with his own players about foul trouble. Lazo again tries to taunt him by telling him he needs to be worried about himself because he is going to toss him out of the game if he doesn't shut up (other players witnessed)."

I wouldn't be surprised if the ref sues Mayo, claiming he was injured by the knockdown.

Ref's statement:

"After reporting my (first) technical foul, I observed that there was a group of players from both teams gathering at half court, in which #32 (Mayo) from Huntington was displaying improper behavior towards the same player he just taunted. I responded to this incident at half court by walking toward the group. I requested he 'not' return to the area. #32 from Huntington failed to honor my request. I observed #32 from Huntington approach the same player he previously taunted. I then assessed another technical foul on #32 from Huntington for displaying unsportsmanlike conduct. As I approached the table to report my technical foul, I saw #32 from Huntington approaching me. As I turned my head towards him, he came in contact me causing me to fall to the floor. While I was on the floor, #32 from Huntington was using profanity."

In my opinion, that ref should never work another game in any sport as a ref. That was the most pathetic thing I've ever seen.

12. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

What's with all the assumptions that Mayo is a "coddled punk"? Maybe he is. Maybe he's not. Bottom line, very few, if any, of us have ever been around the kid for more than a second or two.

When I saw Mayo play, he wasn't talking trash and wasn't being cocky. He was being a basketball player.

After the game, he spent 10-15 minutes talking with kids that were coming up to him.

I saw nothing through the game or after it that suggested he was a punk. Like I said, maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But none of you know, and neither do I.

Draft saved Draft deleted