1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo technical foul video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, Jan 30, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Wow, would I love to live in the worlds some of you live in. In which no kids ever question authority, no one ever asks what a foul call was, no one ever follows someone.

Must be positively princely.

All of your holier-than-thouness on this thread is making me physically ill. The kid's 17, maybe, just got tossed, asked a ref what the fuck happened, and the guy seems to trip (that was my initial thought, which someone else pointed out on here). Quick! Lock him the fuck up!

Are you all kidding me?

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

IJAG, tell me in what arena, anywhere, at any level, where Mayo's actions wouldn't have resulted in some sort of discipline?

I don't think anyone's saying he should be locked up, although there are some who have testified to his punkness.

My reaction, anyway, has been to those who have defended him, saying he didn't mean to do this or his intent was to do that.

He touched a ref. A no-no at ANY level. Bottom line.

And as far as holier-than-thou, that's how I read YOUR post.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I see absolutely no contact. Anywhere. You see implied contact. But it being shot from behind shows nothing.

I'm not saying there shouldn't have been discipline. I'm not sure what they were disciplining, because I wasn't there, and I'm not going to lecture like I was. But there's a big gap between T'ing someone up twice and then falling and calling a foul.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

IJAG is just saying maybe everyone shouldn't be so judgmental of a 17 year old kid that it appears made a simple mistake and did not have any ill intent for the referee only a question.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

How about you don't speak for me? That's not what I'm saying at all.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The reason we have fuckhammers like Rasheed Wallace, Ron Artest and Latrell Sprewell plying their borderline-lunatic trade in the NBA is that over the years, nobody has stood up and said "enough of this shit. Shut the fuck up and play."

And it's gonna get worse and worse.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Starman: I'm fine with that. I think there is too much posturing. But for anyone on here to say it should NEVER happen, and anyone who DARES do it deserves to have their nuts cut off and fed to them...well, I don't really agree with that.

8. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

Thank.You.IJAG.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

FINALLY! A voice of reason. :D

10. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

remind me never to speak for IJAG

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Eh, I'd trust you more than I trust that guy.

12. I totally agree. The first technical, who knows. You can't tell from the clip what he said or did. But the second 'T' it doesn't look like he said anything, lost his cool, intentionally bumped anybody or anything else.
    As far as I can tell, he did nothing to deserve the second technical.
    The ref flopped, plain and simple. That's pathetic on his part. It sure seems like a "look at me" moment for the ref, which is becoming a big problem in sports.
    Mayo had every right to question the call. There should be no problem with a player or coach calmly asking what a call was or why it was called.
    That said, you never touch a referee during the game. Jawing at them is one thing, but never get into their person space, never bow up, never bump them.
    Hopefully he has learned his lessons from this, but based on what others have said about his parents and coaches, probably not.

Draft saved Draft deleted