1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo technical foul video

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dignan, Jan 30, 2007.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Have you seen the clip?

The whole sequence is just bizarre. It looks to me like a ref trying to big-time the hotshot high school kid.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

First off, the proper phrase is "shouldn't have," not "shouldn't of." Every person is constantly judged in every encounter, both online and in public. Don't go out of your way to make yourself look ignorant.

Second off, no high school player in any sport should be approaching any referee, umpire or game official to ask "Hey, what did I do?" or "Why did you call that?" or "How can you do that to me?"

EVER!

And I don't care how highly-touted that high school kid is. He's still just a high school athlete, nothing more. Ref called a technical foul/third strike looking/holding penalty on you? Tough shit. Man up, shut up and move on.

Unfortunately, O.J. Mayo is surrounded by a bunch of enablers (the worst of whom are his miserable, glory-hounding father and his miserable, glory-hounding AAU coach) who have coddled him, dragged him from hither to yon looking more for an opportunity to play ball than an opportunity to get a good, grounded education. The people he most respects and looks up to have convinced him that he deserves special treatment because he's unnaturally good at a game.

Fuckabuncha O.J. Mayo and his sycophantic entourage who sees him as a meal ticket.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It looked to me like he got T'd up after saying something to an opponent following his dunk.

Stupid, self-centered brat.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I have, and you don't challenge a ref. Ever. Just shut the fuck up. Give him a third free shoe so he can stick a hightop in his mouth if you have to, just so long as he shuts the fuck up.

5. Agreed. Mayo needs to realize he's not in the NBA -- yet. You can't ever jaw at an official if you're a prep athlete. Maybe Mayo threatened to take his show across the border to Ohio or Kentucky if the suspension stood.

6. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I apologize for the "shouldn't of" thing(there goes my ebonics again ;)) but calm down.
    Just because he said(again, you don't even know if he said something to him) dosn't mean he's a self centered brat. You don't know what the other player said to him before that play.

Secondly, high school players have complained to refs before. Hell I've done it many times. Plus, the ref flopped before Mayo even GOT a chance to mouth off.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

You can't touch a ref in an argument, ever, because if it's OK to inadvertently nudge them with your shoulder, then next week, it'll be OK to grab them by the arm, the week after that a forearm to the back of the neck will be all right, the week after that the full-throttle kick to the nuts, yadda yadda.

Not saying I've never seen refs that didn't deserve all that and more, but you've got to draw a bright line somewhere. Touch a ref, it's a technical and you're ejected. Period.

And, REGARDLESS of any rulings of courts and lawyers, the refs in West Virginia should take it upon themselves to eject Mayo from the next two scheduled games, the second he walks out on the court. And if he, or anybody on the team or (especially) coaching staff, utters even one word other than "Yes sir, right away sir," forfeit the game.

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

This ref was out to make a name for himself for sure and O.J Mayo made it possible by jawing with him after the T's but that no way excuses this flopping Ref. Seriously this guy should never be allowed to work a game again. O. J would be wise not to turn into a Rasheed Wallace.

9. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

A person inadvertently touching a ref isn't even close to a person grabbing a ref by the arm. Two completely different things.
    The story here shouldn't be all about OJ Mayo. It should be about that ftard ref.

10. ???

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The problem is the NBA-ization of college and high school ball and that every kid is "special."

Parents think that their kid is the next Jordan, the next Kobe. Guess what, the probably isn't the next superstar. The sooner that idea gets reinforced, the better.

Instead of learning the fundamentals of the game, all you see is a bunch of guys dunking and throwing up threes and flapping their yaps at opponents and refs all game long.
    Clearly, if it works for NBA players it can work for Lil' High School Hooper.

You want to end the shit? First time a kid talks, tech his ass up. If he argues? Gets ejected. If a kid tries to humiliate an opponent with a showtime dunk--like in the Kansas thread--call timeout and bench his ass for the remainder of the game and suspend him for the next.

For two years, all I've heard and read is that O.J. Mayo is supposedly the next one. And maybe he is. I don't know. All I've seen of him is this clip. But there's a better than 50-50 chance that he ends up being a bust (a la Lenny Clarke) than a transcendent star.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

You admit he touched him...then you attempt to read his mind and tell us what he did or didn't want to do. NBA players have been suspended for touching officials, but you think this kid shouldn't?

Draft saved Draft deleted