1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. Mayo going to Southern Cal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mpcincal, Nov 16, 2006.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

The biggest problem with punks like Mayo is that young kids will see him get away with it, and the percentage of shits like this will keep growing.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Exactly -- how is he going to get this kid to run suicides or get back on defense after letting him get away with this shit? If I were Floyd, I'd be embarrassed by this situation.

3. Gold

Gold Active Member

How does a coach deal with him if he doesn't get back on defense?

You don't play him. Playing time is the one tool - and maybe the only effective tool - a coach always has.

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yes, but you already have granted the kid far too much power. He's already bigger than the program. Bench him if you will, but if you give a dog the run your home, don't be surprised when he pisses on the rug.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yup. And it will mean more interesting (and often odious) stories, both for sports journalists, and for sportsjournalists.com.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Tim Floyd has a history of being dissed by ball players. Michael Jordan laughed at him. I wonder if Coach Knight would have taken O.J. 's call.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Coach Knight wouldnt have looked at him...told him to go shit in his hat...

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

as well he should have. I've lost a lot of respect for Coach Floyd.

9. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

I, however, have retained my admiration for Count Floyd. Who I hear is very scary.

[​IMG]

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have always had admiration for Count Scary....[/metro Detroit Tom Ryan thing...]

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Given the rebuilding process he inherited when he took the job, I can see where he would be willing to chance it to accelerate the process. Not saying every coach would do it, but I can see where he would simply shut up, not complain and wish for the best during the kid's one year on campus.

12. hachat11

hachat11 Member

Not sure if the WV state final was last night or I was watching a tape delay, but with his team leading by 40 — and Mayo was still in the game in the final 2 minutes — Mayo stole the ball and dunked it. No problems there.
    But then he grabs the ball and chucks it into the stands and then gets tossed.
    Oh yeah, this should be fun.

Draft saved Draft deleted