1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

O.J. going back to court

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, May 11, 2013.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Juice is fighting for his freedom, again.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/news/nation_world/20130511_ap_ojsimpsonheadstocourttofightforfreedom.html?c=r

2. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

How nice of philly.com to spend the first five graphs reminding us that OJ was once on trial for murder and it was kind of a big deal. I'm sure we had all forgotten.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

In prison he's an even better person.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He's a good inmate and an even better convict.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

The Naked Gun 44 to Life.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I'm the adviser for a high school newspaper - so, 13 to 18 year olds - and yeah, some of them didn't know who OJ Simpson was. Some of them weren't born when That Whole Thing happened, so it's understandable, since it's not really something you'd probably learn about in social studies.

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

I was waiting to see how long it would take someone to break that very relevant fact out. Thanks sgreenwell.

8. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Yeah....I saw this one coming.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Jesus Christ. The fact HS kids weren't born when OJ killed his wife has made me feel older than just about anything I can think of off the top of my head.

10. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Exactly!

11. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

You're all welcome :D I mean, sure, you probably don't need to devote grafs 2 through 6 in a story to explain who he is; you can probably tackle it further down the body, or sum up in just a paragraph or two.

But yeah, I'm 29 and I was in sixth grade (I believe) when the verdict came down. I remember that it was during gym class, and we were watching it in the locker room with the teachers, all of us waiting until the jury verdict came before going out and actually starting the class. I imagine that most people in their 20s now know who OJ is, because they were born close enough to his trial, but younger than 20, and you're bumping into people who either weren't alive or were so young they probably don't have first-hand memories of the saturation media coverage.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I can just imagine the celebratory dinner OJ and Drip would have should OJ ever get out of jail.

Draft saved Draft deleted