1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"O beautiful, Oh say can you see"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

In the pantheon of anthem screwups, this ranks about eleventy zillionth -- he screwed up one line, recovered quickly and got back on track fast enough many listeners might have thought he did it entirely on purpose.

Certainly not nearly as bad as about 98% of the pompous idiots who decide to "reinterpret" the anthem in their "own style," almost always resulting in disaster.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Well played. I was anticipating that response. Thank's for not making me wait.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Sing the anthem? Oh, so that's why I'm here."

I guess it could have been worse, he could have sung the opening bars of "Mexico."

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He screwed it up too.

5. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Most moving version of the National Anthem at a sporting event that I witnessed in person was Wayne Messmer at the 1991 NHL All-Star Game at the Chicago Stadium.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yeah, that was less than impressive.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

When I was a kid in the '70s, the Providence College band could bang it out in 55 seconds.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So could every other man here, in his youth. 8)

9. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I dreamed I was covering a high school state tournament last night. I really disliked the tournament directors who played the anthem prior to every game, not just the start of the day. I'd heard it anywhere from four to six times on the first day of the tournament. I hoped for teams in my area to be defeated so I could skip most of the second and third days.

10. Writer33

Writer33 Member

Marvin Gaye, 1983 NBA All-Star game. My favorite rendition.

11. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I envy you. I get goosebumps just watching the tape. Cannot imagine what it was like to be in the Stadium that day.

Draft saved Draft deleted