1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's self-nominated Pulitzer winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 17, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's kind of how I read it. The Times certainly feels like it has multiple Pulitzer possibilities every year, and perhaps the editors weren't going to be inclined to nominate Gettleman. Now, does that mean he had no right to enter himself? Of course not. But I wonder if the editors knew at all when it happened. Just interesting inside-baseball stuff that only we'd care about.

2. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I know a film critic who used to nominate himself every year.
    I heard it cost $500 each year. Is that about right?
    And he wouldn't win any Congeniality Awards, either.

3. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Who cares how he got nominated? Dude won a Pulitzer. So what if he nominated himself. I actually think it's pretty cool.

I also think it'd actually be counterproductive to nominate yourself every year. But after a year you felt especially good about your work? Hell yeah, go for it. I don't see a thing wrong with that.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

His own paper cared; the self-nominating detail was in its own story.

Looks like it would get pricey to do it yourself over and over again.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Doesn't the editor who didn't nominate him kind of look like a douche, here?

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

The foreign editor nominated Gettleman for a Polk award (which he won), but the masthead staff thought others were more deserving of Pulitzer consideration. In this case, the "bless your heart" is a little winky-winky (although Gettleman does not lack for confidence).

7. JPsT

JPsT Member

Can't anyone want to win an award any more without everyone deciding they're a dick?

Jones says he wishes he would've been nominated for a hugely prestigious award and people flip out as though he should be fist-pumping at home upon not seeing his name on the list.

This guy has the balls to put himself up for a Pulitzer, wins the damn thing and people act as though he's a tool for doing something that was apparently within the rules of both the award and his publication.

I'll say it. I like winning awards. I like seeing my work recognized.

Are journalism awards trumped up? Are there too many? Absolutely. But the backlash that seems to have arisen from that is just as absurd.

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Ask the guy's boss.

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Pulitzers cost $50 to enter.

10. ringer

ringer Active Member

The foreign editor looks like a double douche because he announced that Gettleman nominated himself. If the editor was classy, he wouldn't have made that detail public.

The NYT doesn't seem to care how it earned the victory anyway. It still flaunted Gettleman's achievement in a full-page ad congratulating all the Times-related winners.

11. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Exactly. The NYT isn't going to disown a Pulitzer just because the guy apparently broke protocol. And considering his editors didn't nominate him, so he nominated himself and won, I guess his editors didn't know best.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Yeah. Now, how many NYT staffers nominate themselves next year?

Draft saved Draft deleted