1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's self-nominated Pulitzer winner

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 17, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I suppose the end justifies the means, but I can't imagine the gumption to self-nominate for a Pulitzer. Even his editors seemed to agree.

http://gawker.com/5902658/is-it-bad-to-nominate-yourself-for-an-award

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

If he's the foreign editor, wouldn't he be the one to pick which international news stories get suggested to the upper management, if not the one to pick which go to the Pulitzer board? I know sports editors who have nominated their own work for Associated Press Sports Editors awards. I have no problem with either situation. If the guy did it every year and screwed his own correspondents every year, then he's a dick. But if he's the one who decides what gets nominated, it should be his goal to ensure the Times wins. And if he thinks his own work has the best shot at winning, then he should nominate his own work. It's what's best for the company, as well as the individual.

Edit: Just realized I misread. The foreign editor was quoted, but the correspondent nominated himself and won. Either way, it's a good day for The New York Times, which should (and almost does) win this Pulitzer Prize every year based on how much it invests in international reporting.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

We saw him on PBS Newshour last Friday. I told my husband, "He's hot, he works for the NYT, and he's exposing evil in Africa. Is there a female social activist in the Northeast who doesn't want to sleep with him?"

Somehow, I don't think being a Pulitzer winner will worsen his odds.

(Apologies for the threadjack.)

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Um, he won the thing.

Other than Gawker seeing an opportunity to take shots at the media hierarchy, I don't see the issue here.

5. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

To be fair, they were playing off what seems like a not-exactly-ringing-endorsement from his editor:

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I take that quote to be in good fun.

Kind of like the coach who shouts, "No, no, no, no, no ... YES!!!!" when a player takes an ill-advised shot that goes in.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What a literate, thoughtful analysis by Gawker. ::)

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have heard from a reliable source that Gettleman is as unlikeable as they come. So really, this seems in character for him. Win or not.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

BFD. Last time I checked, Most Likeable Reporter wasn't a Pulitzer category.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He's the Reggie Jackson of reporters -- it ain't braggin' if you can back it up.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Didn't say it was.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

I also noticed the NYTimes staff was a finalist in the category, too. Perhaps his own nomination was seen as selfish, because it could have deprived a larger group of people of winning.

Draft saved Draft deleted