1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's NBA writer leaves for Bleacher Report

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CarlSpackler, Sep 18, 2013.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Eh, a lot of people said that about SB Nation too, and now SB Nation does some of the best work out there.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Even before they started hiring great writers, and even including some of their awful affiliated sites, SB Nation never had the reputation for excruciatingly bad content that Bleacher Report had/has.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Poor Bleacher Report. Forever doomed. Never allowed to rise above its reputation.

4. JennaLaine

JennaLaine Member

Bleacher Report has made some pretty nice hires recently. People may still have a negative view on the company, but the bottom line is, BR is paying for quality writers when other media outlets aren't.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Where did you get that impression?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It don't care much about the name or its origins. My blocking them has more to do with the crappy content you do get for clicking. When you do a google search and their content-farm crap dominates the first few pages of search results. ... you get conditioned to avoid clicking -- or as I did, to block them. It has nothing to do with their name. It's the waste of your time you do get for clicking.

I don't know if others feel the same way -- they might not, but I suspect the reason BR is trying to shift strategies is that the SEO-get-a-lot-of-meaningless-clicks strategy has run its course. People see their name in their search results and it's a "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice. ..." thing.

If that is the case, it is going to be difficult to overcome the bad experience people have already had with their content spam.. It's going to take a lot of really good stuff to overcome that, and if the crap continues to get mixed in with the good stuff, I personally am still going to keep them blocked.

It's not an impossible task. It's kind of like when Samsung products were the cheap, crappy imitation of the better Japanese products. But then Samsung turned itself into a legit name.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

There's so much media overload on most of the stuff I'm interested in that my rule of thumb now is: If it's not Tweeted as a link by a writer whom I follow, I don't go looking for it. Only get to Yahoo! because of a couple of its writers' Tweets. Same with CBSSports and FoxSports sites and even SI.com. I'll occasionally go to ESPN.com or the leagues' Web sites without that prompting, and specific newspaper sites that don't try to crush me with their paywalls. But that's about it.

Bleacher Report? Never bother with 'em off search results because invariably it's a slide show that I know won't get around to what I'm looking for till the 14th click.

8. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

On the Bleacher Report NBA homepage right now, there are no bylines from Beck, Ding or Skolnick. Their featured columnists? Bryan Toporek, a self-described 76ers fan and Mike B., who has a whole long list of favorite athletes on his bio. If B/R expects people to take them seriously, they've got a lot of work to do. I hope Beck, Ding and Skolnick truly know what they've gotten themselves into.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Going to take more than playing up the legit guys from real media world. It's going to require downplaying or eradicating the fan "writers." Can't see a pro/am approach working.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It depends what you define as working. Bleacher Report, which Deadspin noted for its "Google-raping SEO" (BTW best Deadspin line ever), will probably continue to be adept at the ways of the Internet and attract eyeballs.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It works fine for Yahoo, which has its whole "Contributor Network" and "Voices" sites (thankfully, that crap doesn't show up in Google searches.) It's all kept separate from their real writers, the Wetzels and Passans and Robinsons and Browns of the world.

Even Yahoo's sport-specific blogs, like Big League Stew and Puck Daddy, which are a step down from the columnists mentioned above, are kept far away from "Voices."

B/R would be wise to do the same. I don't know who they could hire that would compel me to click on that site, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted