1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's David Carr with another gloomy take on newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 9, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

My point wasn't so much about the iPad app, but how our news appetites have changed and the availability from other sources.
    We've seen how newsmagazines have adapted (or not) - the point is people don't want to use a news product that feels old and dated - and yet with a morning paper and an 11 p.m. or midnight deadline, people are getting "news" that is at least eight hours old. Seems like it would make sense to publish and distribute with a quicker turnaround.

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Ah, gotcha.

I've wondered about the possibilities of switching to p.m. I grew up in Decatur, Ala., and the Daily was a p.m. from as long as I could remember.

Anyway, the way companies keep cutting away at newsrooms the delivery cycle just may not matter eventually.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Publishing morning or afternoon doesn't matter because the production/delivery time lapse is the same. And most people who might read a p.m. might not get around to reading it until ... when? After dinner?

Newspapers' only chance at survival was to produce a product different than what one can get on the web or TV - depth, perspective, analysis, investigation. 10, 15 years ago I was hearing the drum beat about "No one has the time to read the paper." The newspaper answer to that perceived problem - shorter stories. Which meant that readers WOULD SPEND EVEN LESS TIME with the paper.

You can't fix stupid.

Draft saved Draft deleted