1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's David Carr with another gloomy take on newspapers

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SockPuppet, Jul 9, 2012.

1. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Did a search and didn't find this posted. Once again, Carr has things nailed tight. Check your paper's pension funds, folks.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I can't bend over any more. Just give it to me straight. I can take it.
  3. mediaguy

mediaguy Active Member

Sorry, guy hasn't been good since Fresno.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, the guy's terrible.

Can't imagine why the Times continues to run his stuff.

So fucking funny.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

YF's head.

(YF, look at the 2002 NFL draft.)
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ah, fuck.

And, I was living in Houston at the time.
  7. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Carr could have been great if he had just got some protection from the line desk. Hard to file a decent feature when you're looking up at the ceiling of the newsroom.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree with a lot of what Carr says, but I found this passage to be kinda insulting:

"The plan is built on accounting, not strategy, which is why some of the newspaper’s heavy hitters have declined offers from the newly reconfigured enterprise."

"David Hammer, who played a large role in The Times-Picayune’s coverage of the rebuilding efforts after Hurricane Katrina in 2005, took a job with the New Orleans CBS affiliate, WWL-TV, doing investigative work; he will be joined by Brendan McCarthy, one of the newspaper’s young stars."

"Stephanie Grace, a former statewide columnist, declined a job as a reporter, and Bill Barrow, a longtime reporter who covered health care, is going to work for The Associated Press. Bob Marshall, a Pulitzer Prize winner and the newspaper’s outdoors editor, took a pass as well. "

"They are the kind of people that separate The Times-Picayune from, well, Journatic."

I find it insulting because there are plenty other journalists there who did plenty of great work who are facing unemployment because they aren't the big stars. They're people like copy editors, designers, calendar listing people, secretaries, who keep things going day-to-day while the reporters get their bylines and the glory.

And it's insulting to compare people like that to people who work at Journatic.
  9. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

I always say our part-timer is probably the most important person on our staff. He fields most of the phone calls, and he always manages to sound chipper even if he wants to take an ax to his desk, walk out and never come back.
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Every paper I've ever worked at has the part-timer who is better than half the staff has more bylines than half the staff but for whatever reason never winds up as a full-timer.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Found this interesting.

I realize news orgs have been talking "digital first" with dithering results for a decade, but I can see a newspaper switching shifts around. A morning paper is all the news from at least eight hours ago. In the internet era, that is death. If papers returned to afternoon deliveries they could at least have more current news.
  12. crimsonace

crimsonace Active Member

Our news cycle is much different in the digital age, and I'm not 100% sure anyone has quite figured this out.

A PM update news cycle won't do much for sports -- most of what we cover and a lot of our access to sources comes in the afternoon/evening -- but many newsside reporters work 9-to-5 shifts anyway (except, of course, those covering evening meetings & the cops/crime beats).

Where things change for sports is the "running" coverage -- the need to constantly update our readers/listeners on social media while an event is going on, which we're already doing anyway. This confirms that when our readers are paying attention is when we're live. Get a pregame notebook going, get the story up quick, update with quotes, get a more in-depth folo ready for the morning or even the PM update. Essentially, it validates what we're doing. The big issue now is creating a model where we can make money off of such coverage.

I've found that I read the Chicago Tribune every day during baseball season on my iPad. I barely even read the local paper anymore unless I think to go to its website because its app is pretty underdeveloped (and during the summer, most of what I want to read about daily is the Cubs). I'm sure those with 9-to-5 jobs like me are doing something similar.
Draft saved Draft deleted