1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT's David Carr rips Tribune execs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Oct 6, 2010.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Forgive me if anyone already posted the video that got Abrams suspended, but didn't want you to miss this. Most assuredly NSFW:

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/pages-for-twitter/attention-tribune-staffers-an.html

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Zell was always painting it as "we're in this together" -- part of some hackneyed strategy to make the employees feel "more invested" because we were "owners" of the company.

I'm sure those of you who work in Trib shops remember the company-wide edict that signs be hung which read, "You own this place now!" after Zell took over.

You own this place now!

Ironic on so many levels.

In our shop, of course, it was ironic because the place where we worked was called-- by our own boss-- a "shithole." Peeling paint, stained carpets, water always leaking from the floors above. I'll never forget seeing one of those signs-- You own this place now!-- being posted right below a streak of mold.

And 'You own this place now!' was also ironic because we were renting the place.

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

As a non-journo, after Zell bought the Tribune/Cubs, and then siphoned the Cubs away, I stopped paying much attention to it besides the new layout and some head-scratching moves.

After reading this (and to respond to Goalmouth's comment that readers are hearing about this for the first time), it has convinced me that Zell is a bigger idiot than I thought. No, check that. Zell has no damn clue at all about the paper business and sticking Michaels in to run the show confirms everyone's thoughts here on the board: Zell is nothing more but another ego-hack gobbling up companies for his own business portfolio and he's a new addition to the "I don't have enough money, so I'll get some loans and ask my buddies to buy into my pipe dream" list with the McCourts and the former Rangers owner.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Of course, Michaels is the epic hypocrite, here.

There's no embarassing this guy.

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Fair enough.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Well, someone agrees with me about the use of unnamed sources -- the Times public editor:

7. YankeeFan

Abrams resigns: http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2010/10/lee-abrams-resigns-from-tribune-co.html

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Gonna really miss that fuckball's food featurettes, where he and some other guy would fly to their favorite restaurants and stuff their faces on screen.

Meanwhile, journalists went into foreclosure.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Longtime Chicago Sun-Times media columnist, gone independent, tees up the Tribune and its wormy top editors, the masters of too little, too late:

http://blogs.vocalo.org/feder/2010/10/editor-calls-damage-to-tribune-reputation-‘shameful’/39987

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On NPR this morning, there was an interesting piece about a study that looked at how you could tell CEOs were lying (other than, "their lips are moving"). One common thread about lying CEOs (defined as those at companies that later had to restate earnings claimed on their watch) was the use of certain pronouns:

Zakolyukina says lying executives tend to overuse words like "we" and "our team" when they talk about their company. They avoid saying "I."

She says there's a reason for that: "If I'm saying 'I' or 'me' or 'mine,' I'm showing my ownership of the statement, so psychologically I'm showing I'm responsible for what I'm saying."

By that assumption, I would guess you're even more screwed if the CEO keeps referring to "you," as in "you own this place now."

11. YankeeFan

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There is a God. I knew it from the first.

Draft saved Draft deleted