1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYTimes story on Archie & Olivia Manning

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well if she brought the maid a coke, she must be a saint. :)

I've read the Manning family story more than a few times. I remember Wright Thompson doing it particularly well when he was still at the Times-Picayune and Eli was still at Ole Miss.

I've heard more than a few horror stories about Archie, long before the Eli debacle in the 2004 draft, where he just looked like a complete and total asshole.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I keep having that vison in Caddy Shack where the Club House Attendant grinds down Judge Smalls shoe spikes as he cleans them.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know if there is another college that worships a single player the way Ole Miss does Archie. It's embarrassing.

Florida has been getting close with its Tebow love, but he'll be pushed aside as soon as the Gators win another title.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/drew-brees-has-an-unbreakable-spirit-020210

Tremendous story by Mark Kriegel on Drew Brees that has an Archie/ Olivia element.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was a disappointed in the story myself.

Lots of "said in a telephone interview" quotes. I mean what's the point of slapping a New Orleans dateline on it and everything is phoned in?

So really, Thayer emphasized the maid because that's the one person he talked to in person.

And I'm making my book club read Charlie Pierce's "Idiot America."

Laying it on them tonight.

Draft saved Draft deleted