1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYTimes CEO Departs with $4.5 Million Gift

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lcjjdnh, Dec 16, 2011.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Active Member

"Consulting" <a href="http://biz.yahoo.com/e/111215/nyt8-k.html">fee</a>, of course:

2. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It's why I laugh when rich people die.

And if that's mean spirited of me, oh well.

3. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Active Member

And here are the covenants:

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

That's rough. I feel for someone who agreed to these onerous terms.

5. Azrael

Azrael Active Member

Coo coo ca choo.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Perfect!

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

There is no job at any newspaper worth $4.5 million a year, and that definitely includes a "consultant" with a golden parachute.

Think of the jobs or projects that payout costs. Explain that to your readers.

8. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Active Member

They continue to play us all for chumps, boys & girls!

Yet if it came down to covering a fire or an overtime game at 11:15 p.m. with an 11:40 deadline, I like our chances of succeeding helluva lot more than their chances of pulling together a readable story in time.

We do journalism, they preside over the industry's ruination and they get filthy rich while we get furloughs.

Occupy Newspaper CEOs.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Let's be honest with what these deals are - its hush money so a drawn out trial won't expose the corporate world to all of the skeletons stashed in closets.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This.

11. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

Wonder if she'll invest it all in Times' stock?

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Have to agree with Stitch, 100 percent, on this one.

Even if a departure was something other or worse than a simple retirement, why would anyone have to compete/work, at all, why would anyone have to solicit anything, and why would anyone disparage a company that gave them $4.5 million when they left?

Money makes everything easier, even leaving under just about any terms some company might "demand." If demanding is what you're doing when you're paying somebody $4.5 million to do it.

Draft saved Draft deleted