1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Walter Cronkite dead at 92

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cougargirl, Jul 17, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Correction run by NYT on story by Alessandra Stanley, for whom writing articles requiring corrections seems to be her greatest talent.... how is she still employed?

----------

Correction: July 22, 2009 An appraisal on Saturday about Walter Cronkite's career included a number of errors. In some copies, it misstated the date that the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was killed and referred incorrectly to Mr. Cronkite's coverage of D-Day. Dr. King was killed on April 4, 1968, not April 30. Mr. Cronkite covered the D-Day landing from a warplane; he did not storm the beaches. In addition, Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon on July 20, 1969, not July 26. "The CBS Evening News" overtook "The Huntley-Brinkley Report" on NBC in the ratings during the 1967-68 television season, not after Chet Huntley retired in 1970. A communications satellite used to relay correspondents' reports from around the world was Telstar, not Telestar. Howard K. Smith was not one of the CBS correspondents Mr. Cronkite would turn to for reports from the field after he became anchor of "The CBS Evening News" in 1962; he left CBS before Mr. Cronkite was the anchor. Because of an editing error, the appraisal also misstated the name of the news agency for which Mr. Cronkite was Moscow bureau chief after World War II. At that time it was United Press, not United Press International.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/24/katie-couric-slams-ny-tim_n_244741.html

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I am by no means perfect (There are three specific errors I have made in my print career that if I think about them, it will eat me up and leave me depressed for at least an hour or two and they all happened at least five years ago) but if I strung together that many in a story that big, I would seriously consider offering my resignation. Wow.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

But other than that, how was the story?

4. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Holy cow, that's some sloppy work. And how on earth did mistakes that basic make it through the Times' copy desk?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The King and Armstrong date gaffes are brutal.

And if you write "Telestar" instead of
    "Telstar", it's glaringly obvious that you
    weren't around, then, and/or you're just oblivious/don't give a shit.

And people here say this wasn't the FIRST
    offense, in this neighborhood? Sheesh.

And, oh, yeah, I've made mistakes in my time. More than once. But this article
    is the Golden Sombrero of mistakes.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Obviously another person who doesn't have to work twice as hard to get half the credit of her colleagues.

[/crossthread]

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

All excellent questions. Especially considering this obit was probably in the can for weeks -- if not months.

Like Breaker of Leopold and Loeb said, how do you screw the pooch on the King and Armstrong dates? A fifth grader can tell you that.

In fact, when I read this to my wife and 10-year-old, she couldn't believe it. "Dad, everyone knows men landed on the moon on July 20, 1969."

Everyone, apparently, but Alessandra Stanley and the copy desk of the New York Times.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like, where's the desk? Eh? Eh?

Earth calling Pinch.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Looks like this dipshit is up to her old tricks.

Maybe now we can sue the New York Times for journalistic malpractice and get the monies we have paid to them back...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barry-levinson/the-delusions-of-ms-stanl_b_352562.html

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

She's my friend. Get off her back.

[/mo_dowd]

Draft saved Draft deleted