1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Walter Cronkite dead at 92

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by cougargirl, Jul 17, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

they were also the pioneers in their field, in most respects. their successors are playing to a much more savvy and sophisticated viewing audience, i'd argue.

don't get me wrong. i admired them all greatly. but their acts were tough to follow for many, many reasons beyond their own greatness.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Murrow never warmed to Cronkite. It's well-deliniated in the most prominent Murrow bios.

Professional jealousy . . . one of the great unspoken realities of the profession.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

He truly was THE MAN.
    And that's the way it was.
    RIP Mr. Cronkite.

4. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

All three cable news outlets had continuous coverage for hours. CBS apparently pre-fed a highlight package to all, because they were mostly the same career highlights.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

CBS devoted the entire Early Show this morning to Remembering Walter Cronkite, talking to everyone that the cable outlets talked to last night.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Nice story on Huffington Post on how it was Walter Cronkite that helped spark Beatlemania in the US - they were already popular by the time they were on Ed Sullivan.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martin-lewis/tweet-the-beatles-how-wal_b_239202.html

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would have enjoyed seeing extended airing of Cronkite's coverage of the space shot, the JFK assassination. I'll ive seen the cable nets air are clips and obits. Heck, even MJ got entire videos.

8. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

The first hours of the JFK coverage are on YouTube. I stumbled across it once and don't have a direct link. Took 20 minutes to warm up the cameras, so only the "CBS News BULLETIN" slide was on the screen at first.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Drudge has a totally classless tribute (if you want to call it that) up now.

The Way It Used To Be

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's a link to the CBS Evening News site.

Drudge makes me ill, but I didn't take it as a slight.

Now, if you want to talk about The Way It Used To Be, i. e., when assholes and jerkoffs didn't simply run with
    any half-assed cockamamie story which discredited the political party they didn't like . . . we're all for a
    sustained discussion. But stay on topic, please.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Beautiful example of this - Cronkite found out, coming out of a commercial break on January 22, 1973, that LBJ had just died. He got the details directly from Johnson's press secretary and reported them right then and there to the nation - with the press secretary still on the line filling him in. How's that for immediacy?

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Terrific show on him Sunday night in place of "60 Minutes". Loved when they played "In the Mystic" by Van Morrison.
    It was interesting how much of an interview they ran with Robin Williams about him. And apparently he and George Clooney were friends.

A true broadcasting legend. In my opinion there is no one who has come close since.

Draft saved Draft deleted