1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT Spotlight On Internet Gun Sales

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dick owes you a "touche"

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks, Amy.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Can we buy guns here? Maybe a gun swap thread? I'm sure there would be interest. Haven't read the story to see if the loophole applies to message board gun sales, but I bet we'd qualify.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Amy is saying the term has evolved. I'll go with her. The internet is a pretty damn big loophole, though.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You better buy an almanac first based on your wrong dates for Ok City and Waco

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I was only wrong on one of those.

Now, about those guns.

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

More regulation. More registration. More background checking.

It is the only answer.

And the "gun show loophole" is a nice talking point, but it is, for the most part, a myth

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The loophole itself isn't a myth. It exists. But the notion that it's some major supplier of guns used in crimes is a myth. I think I've read the actual number of crime guns linked to gun shows as 2 percent.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not even close to 2 percent. More like a fraction of one percent.

It just isn't that easy to get a gun without a background check or registration - well unless you go to a back alley or you go to a gun show and find a private arms dealer who is selling them out of his trunk.

10. Since KSL shut down firearms sales through its classified listings, there is an opening in the market.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In my neck of the woods, there is a gun show every weekend, it seems.

Someone must be buying them. Can't all be oglers.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

A loophole is something some multi-millionaire gets. A legitimate tax deduction is what I am rightfully entitled to. :)

One example of a tax break is when SUVs got to pay reduced taxes. The law was designed for large trucks used for real work, like plumbing, farming, transporting stuff, etc. It just so happened that large SUVs were over the minimum weight required to use the deduction. The law wasn't written for SUV owners, but they managed to benefit.

Draft saved Draft deleted