1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT sports editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Waldo9939, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Anyone want a big big big big big boy job. Welp, here ya go.

Job Description

Sports Editor

From the World Cup to the Olympics to LeBron James’s long and winding road, New York Times readers are captivated by sports coverage. The primary task of the next Sports editor will be to ensure that Times coverage is central to the sports conversation, whether it’s soccer in Europe, free agency in the N.B.A. or corruption at the Olympics. The Sports desk has become an engine of innovation for the newsroom and the next Sports editor must keep that digital momentum. The editor should lead a desk that breaks news, delivers memorable features, lands major investigations and introduces many new readers around the world to Times journalism.

Candidates should be able to:
    • Present a vision for Sports coverage in an increasingly international and digital New York Times.
    • Conceptualize and execute ambitious investigative projects.
    • Work closely with graphics editors and other visual journalists to produce visually innovative work.
    • Motivate and nurture the careers of journalists of all experience levels.
    This is an excluded position.

I didn’t see an email address or it even on their jobs board but I did see this posted on Glassdoor. So good luck.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  2. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I just wanted a big big big boy job. Guess I’m out.

twinsfan1424 and Tweener like this.
  3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Hell I’ll take a big boy job. But I’ll say this in these horrific times for our business: at least I got a job.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They took our big big big big big boy jerbs!

twinsfan1424 and Waldo9939 like this.
  5. JackInTheBox

JackInTheBox Member

Fake news.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Our president says it's the "failing New York Times." He's never lied, right?

Tweener and Waldo9939 like this.
  7. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'll bet they move in someone from another New York Times department. They've done that before, and it seems like the job would be a lot more do-able if you already knew the players and the web/graphics people.

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Definitely not going to say that he doesn't like a rug, but pretty sure the # laid off/retired,took a buyout by the NYT over the last two decades
    is a bit larger than the # hired.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the still-active Moddy Pipeline:

We are excited to announce that Randy Archibold, a 20-year veteran of The Times and a top deputy on the Sports desk, will be the next Sports editor.

Randy has played a pivotal role in some of the most dynamic recent coverage in the department, from the Olympics and Super Bowls to deeper exploration of issues like race, gender and sexual harassment in athletics.

He is a natural leader of journalists, but retains the soul and curiosity of a reporter, and has laid out an ambitious vision to build on the legacy of creativity and innovation left by Jason Stallman.

Born in Queens and raised in New Jersey, Randy came to The Times in 1998, when he reported for Metro about education, politics, the suburbs and the attacks on the World Trade Center. He was promoted to cover the John Edwards campaign in 2004 and then moved on to National, as a correspondent based in Los Angeles.

From 2010 to 2015, Randy served as bureau chief in Mexico City, writing about El Chapo’s capture and his escape, gang violence in Central America, the cholera epidemic in Haiti and the normalization of diplomatic relations between Cuba and the U.S.

Prior to coming to The Times, Randy worked at newspapers including The Los Angeles Times, The Los Angeles Daily News and The San Diego Tribune.

His years shepherding sports stories have left Randy dispassionate about team loyalties. He was raised a Jets fan and a Yankees fan, mainly because of the team’s prominent exhibition games in Panama, where his father was raised.

His real passion is swimming, and he has been known to jump into the Hudson River for triathlons on the weekend.

Randy was chosen from a pool of diverse candidates from around the newsroom, who offered their own exciting blueprints for the future of our sports coverage. We hope to tap their ideas and energy going forward.

We would be remiss if we did not salute the work of all the editors and reporters on the Sports desk, who over the past several months have not only kept the department rolling, but also delivered distinctive and memorable work.

Matt Stephens likes this.
  10. wfl

wfl New Member

Sounds underqualified.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If the freaking New York Times can call a sports editor a sports editor - why do lesser pubs think they have to gussy up the title? To make up for cruddier pay?

HanSenSE and RonClements like this.
  12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

You don't like coaches and producers? :(

Baron Scicluna likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted