1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT: Soccer Causes Brain Trauma

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 26, 2014.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I should've known before I even clicked the link.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If it will make a difference in the life of one child...

3. YankeeFan

Way ahead of his time.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The "Precautionary Principle."

The reason why I have to pay like 150 percent of what I actually should pay for groceries each week.

5. outofplace

Not even close. He was trolling, just as you are now.

6. YankeeFan

Because he played it for laughs doesn't mean he was wrong or "trolling".

Was he right? Wasn't he saying what is now being said by many, including the New York Times?

7. outofplace

What was the point? That people can get hurt playing soccer, too? Wow. Just revolutionary. The rest was just trolling.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Boom must have thought he hit the lottery when he realized he could troll soccer and the concussion issue with that link.

9. outofplace

That was my problem with his post and YankeeFan's. This is e legitimate issue that deserves research and discussion. Perhaps the ban on headers is the right thing to do, but trolling like that will just set the discussion back and keep any serious conversation from happening.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's all good, there's gonna be a pill soon.

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Central-Texas-doctor-discovers-potential-concussion-treatment-240368451.html

http://pr-bg.com/content/view/318116/78/

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Does watching soccer cause brain trauma, or do you have to actually play it?

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Gee, Boom pushing a narrative with a thread title. What are the chances?

Read carefully. First off, either Branch or someone on the copy desk erred on the second sentence of the third graf, speculating that "Players sometimes collide or fall to the ground, but the most repeated blows to the head may come from the act of heading an airborne ball — to redirect it purposely — in games and practices."

"May"? Proof, please. Boom isn't an acceptable source.

Potentially more dangerous issues than heading a soccer ball? Head-to-head, head-to-ground and head-to-post issues. Posts and the ground don't tend to give way like an air-filled bladder does. And head-to-head can easily occur going for the ball in the air following either a goalkeeper punt or long throw-in.

And the fifth graf:

"Grange sustained a few memorable concussions, his parents said — falling hard as a toddler, being knocked unconscious in a high school game and once receiving 17 stitches in his head after an on-field collision in college."

That last one could well be an issue by itself. Nowhere in that excerpt did it mention that it occurred as a result of heading the ball.

Kids shouldn't focus on heading the ball … the other fundamentals and *gasp!* having fun should be bigger priorities at younger ages.

Draft saved Draft deleted