1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT slashes retirement benefits

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

This kind of thing is why unions are so important. As long as it's in the contract, they can't arbitrarily do it without renegoiating. And it's also why it's best to have the pensions in the hands of the unions, rather than management.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Breadlines haven't formed yet.

Give it time.

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Frederik, The Great Depression unemployment rate hit something like 25 or 26 percent and hovered in the mid to high teens throughout the 30s and into early 1940s.

To compare, the current national unemployment rate just hit a 14-year high of 6.5 percent, according a story today by the LA Times.

Sorry, but the media HAS overblown the similarities between this recession and The Great Depression, outside of a NY Times story last week that actually spelled out stark differences.

4. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

We're no where near the Great Depression.

The masses aren't starving. Most people have jobs. What's true is that many, many people are under-employed.

For instance, most journalists who are laid off will find work somewhere, just not at the same salary and probably with no benefits. You're still feeding your family, but probably way behind on your bills.

I think we're heading to a depression if something doesn't change, but there are factors out there delaying the inevitable.

Credit cards are getting maxed out everywhere. Mortgages are not getting paid. Hell, maybe the government will even pay your mortgage for you for a couple of months and bailout your bank, but like I said: If something doesn't change, the free ride is going to end at some point. And then we'll be in a depression.

Edit to add: I agree with IGQ.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

In this case, only the non-union employees' retirement packages are being rejiggered.

6. Magic In The Night

Right. That was my point. When you're union, it's a helluva lot more trouble to jerk you around.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

But there are always going to be plenty of jobs - even in a union shop - that aren't covered by the union agreement. It's not like the current crop of NYT employees with their retirement in jeopardy elected not to join the union.

8. Magic In The Night

Yes, I know. And I feel bad for them. I'm just saying, if you're union, you ought to appreciate some of the protection that comes with that.

9. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Also, many people are further behind on their bills than they need to be, ie, they're also worried with keeping up with the Joneses - gotta have high speed, gotta have cells for the entire family, etc, etc. There needs to be a sea change in US consumer attitude.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That sea change would result in even more people losing their jobs, wouldn't it?

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Yeah, if people would watch their pennies and just stick with dial-up, maybe newspapers would remain a viable alternative to the ... damn ... slow ... process ... (yawn)

... of ... getting ... (crickets)

... one's ... news ... Zzzzzz

... online.

Draft saved Draft deleted