1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter says she would boycott Masters until women allowed at Augusta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 5, 2012.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

We find ourselves in agreement. I suppose another question is how she gets these plum jobs.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Really. How does she?

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You seem to be the one struggling with reading comprehension.

Here's her quote.

“If it were left to me, which it seldom is in the power structure of writer versus editor, I’d probably not come cover this event again until there is a woman member,” Crouse said Thursday. “More and more, the lack of a woman member is just a blue elephant in the room.”

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Wow. Just wow.

This thread has done a fine job of trashing a journalist's right to have and share an opinion plus questioned why the journalist even deserved to be on the assignment that led her to making the statements.

SJ Nation, great job. You guys qualify as Augusta National members.

On this issue, I side with Charles Pierce. He nailed it.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Even as I disagree with you on her right to "have and share an opinion" in the way she chose, I agree that these personal attacks are absurd.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So one female member and all is right with the world.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

She rendered no opinion on the Jets beat and I questioned it based on her work.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Where does it say that?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

All of this.

It's one thing to criticize the work, that's fair game for all of us. But when you start questioning why someone has a job? Seriously?

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

This is why I posed the question on the first page about this being a workplace equity issue as well.

Given the tone of this thread, I wonder if she faces a hostile work environment down among the azaleas? Hmm.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I honestly don't believe that's the case.

But it's a queasy feeling to know you're somewhere you would not be welcome any other week of the year.

12. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

SportsJournalists.com has become like many of the other "social media outlets" where the chance to "take a swing" at somebody outweighs any thought process (and I have been guilty of that).

While there still remains some thoughtful discourse, too often this site has devolved into the cheap one-line rip. And of course that's much easier because of anonymous handles.

Apologies for the tread jack. No apologies for the site criticism.

Draft saved Draft deleted