1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter says she would boycott Masters until women allowed at Augusta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

or a Republican

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

This is just unbelievable.

You go where you are sent and you like it.

Most of us would give our left nut to cover The Masters.

What they're doing is not illegal or uncommon for goodness sake.

I have done my fair share of Tea Party stories, and I do them professionally, even though I am, in my mind, holding my nose.

"Oh, no, I don't want to cover Rick Santorum, because he brought a dead fetus home to show his kids and he hates Gays."

Sorry, if I am a political reporter, I follow the guy and report as accurately as I can.

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Before anyone calls me on it, no I was not literal about the left nut part.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Of course, that might disqualify you from ever playing at Augusta National.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You could still play 9, I guess.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what the issue is: women at Augusta, the designated hitter or the NFL overtime rule. You don't announce to another reporter, for an article, that you might blow off an assignment.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

In this case, Pierce is as big a blooming idiot as he accuses Times management of being.

8. Boom_70

Convince me

9. They wouldn't let me join, either.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If my post above the Pierce one escaped your comprehension, allow me to repeat: the situation between Karen Crouse and her bosses isn't about Augusta National's sexism. It's about an employee, announcing to an SI reporter, for a story, that she might blow off an assignment. I'm presuming that the New York Times doesn't draft its golf writers. At some point, she wanted the job, and got it. She had to know she'd have to cover the Masters, regardless of the club policy on women members.
    It's no different than the Times assigning a reporter to the Santorum campaign, then have the reporter tell another media outlet that he or she won't cover any speeches or positions Santorum gives on abortion, because they abhor that position. Or a member of the White House press corp against Obamacare, and announcing he's going to boycott presidential news conferences.
    It's hardly the death of newspapers for a boss to be able to tell one of his employees to do their freaking job and shut up about it to other reporters. I would contend that if it wasn't the New York Times and she wasn't Karen Crouse, she'd be fired by now.

11. Boom_70

She should have been fired for her atrocious work on The Jets beat.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's a pretty good point.

It's the biggest tournament of the year. It's a major part of the beat. If she knew she'd be uncomfortable covering the sports premier event, maybe she shouldn't have taken the job.

It would be like an NFL writer not wanting to cover the Super Bowl (maybe because its in Arizona), or a NASCAR writer not wanting to cover Daytona.

Either way, her crime is going public with her complaints.

Draft saved Draft deleted