1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter says she would boycott Masters until women allowed at Augusta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 5, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Karen Crouse was good in The Client

2. Mediator

Mediator Member

Apologies for the duplication.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Nice snark from Pierce, but I'm not buying that these moments are the ones that are killing newspapers.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Thought it was more a commentary on poor newspaper leadership than on dumb incidents.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the funny pages. Isn't anyone paying attention to me?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fired for public insubordination.

There are certain stories I have made it clear I effectively refuse to do, namely the "troubled-criminal-druggie-athlete-turns-his-life-around-and-now-everything-is-groovy" puff pieces, which blow up in the writer's face about 96% of the time, but I do it in the office, not by sounding off to the public "I am only doing this story because I was ordered to."

If I sounded off in public ripping editorial decisions of my bosses, if word got back to them, I would at the very least expect to be sharply wrist-slapped, and probably fired.

7. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I am not going to cover Wellesley College sports until they admit a male student.

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Bickering amongst the 1%. While it does not interest me, at the same time I would not discourage it.

9. Biscayne

Biscayne Guest

On a side note, I can't imagine how this column got the approval to run. It's the opposite of clever and funny:

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/breakfast-club-imagining-billy-payne-home-morning-after-his-contentious-press-conferen

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Boom, good point about Judith Miller.

11. I tried to join Shapes gym but can't get coverage on the issue.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Isn't that Curves?

Draft saved Draft deleted