1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter says she would boycott Masters until women allowed at Augusta

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by playthrough, Apr 5, 2012.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Thought this might be worthy of discussion; away from the other thread on Sports & News.

Crouse said she'd just assume not cover another Masters until there's a female member. Apparently her editor was unimpressed.

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/New-York-Times-reporter-says-she-would-boycott-Masters-at-Augusta-National-until-women-allowed-040512

She said she was the only woman at the news conference to ask a question; not sure if that's a feat or not. Don't know how many women were there, or how many other women were assigned to write about it.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I guess she's out of the lottery to golf Monday?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Paging spnited ...

You're there to tell stories (including the lack of female membership), not build up your supply of journo points.

4. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Journalists shouldn't make stories about themselves.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agree completely.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

And so by boycotting, she ensures that there is even less of a female presence at the tournament.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Really, playthrough?

Anyway, I think this would be a whole lot more effective if either all female journalists boycotted or The New York Times boycotted. As is, it's just her saying she's hurting the Times more than the Masters.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Obvious.

Poor, poor baby.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

10. Wow...

There's all kinds of shit I'd like to boycott that I have to cover as part of my - you know - job.

I hope the Times re-assigns her to the prep soccer.

That being said ... I will stand with her. I will not go to Augusta until a woman is made a member.
    Of course, the next time I go will be the first time.

11. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Is this worse than adopting reverential tones when talking about hallowed Augusta?

Draft saved Draft deleted