1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter escapes Taliban

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by somewriter, Jun 20, 2009.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It used to be that if a reporter's byline went missing from the paper, people would notice and call about it.
    Now people just assume the reporter got laid off and go about their business.

I nominate Clooney to be the kidnapped reporter for the upcoming movie.

2. Wait ... the NYT and Taliban aren't business partners?

3. can you cite an example of a news organization that refused to refrain from coverage when it was asked to in order to protect someone's safety?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of the nazel gazers at Poynter, one of their ethics people, ripped the Times for its decision not to report on its missing reporter.
    http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=67&aid=165629

"We journalists" really? Hey Kelly McBride, you aren't a fucking journalist. You are a douchebag ethicist at Poynter, who would rather have a Times reporter beheaded so a story could be written.
    I guess that would make it two stories:
    * Times reporter kidnapped
    * Times reporter killed by captors
    What the Times did was in this particular and individal case, they made a measured, reasoned response based on the specifics that you may or may not be aware of. They didn't set a standard for all news gathering organizations to follow.
    Fuck off.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

I've been looking for Letters to the Editor about Rohde's escape in the NYT and they seem to be conspicuously absent.

Does the blackout continue now that he's safe?

Or did I just miss it in the hard copy of the paper?

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Jay, I concur 100 percent. McBride is an idiot.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did the Times pay a ransom?

And is the Times asking other news orgs for discretion in reporting when their employees are taken hostage, but not providing discretion when hostages are taken who are just civilians and not reporters?

http://media.nationalreview.com/post/?q=YzVlYzdjYzFkN2FlODhiZDE4MjdlNWE2YjMyMzgwY2Q=

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Original story must have had a typo--the NYT guy didn't escape from the Taliban, he escaped TO the Taliban.

Draft saved Draft deleted