1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reporter escapes Taliban

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by somewriter, Jun 20, 2009.

1. somewriter

somewriter Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/21/world/asia/21taliban.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=all

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This was an incredible story. The guy's won two Pulitzers for his reporting. Glad he's finally safe.

Interesting how AP and others agreed to not cover his kidnapping, out of concern for his safety.

3. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Keeping kidnappings secret is pretty standard procedure.

And here, according to the other guy who escaped, is how it was done:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/22/world/asia/22tahir.html?hp

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

This story reminds me of the time I had to cover a high school football game in Spartanburg, S.C., and they turned off the lights and locked the gates like 10 minutes after the final whistle. Not only did I have to work in utter darkness, but I had to climb a chain-link fence while carrying my laptop bag.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

This is wild. Thanks for sharing.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I would have less of a problem with it if the NYT and other news orgs would be consistent. Do they refrain from coverage at all times when someone's life may be in danger or only when it is one of their reporters?

7. EE94

EE94 Guest

please tell me you're being facetious

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

This will be a major motion picture in what, two years?

That was an oddity yesterday -- two above-the-fold stories in the Times without bylines.

9. it's just like that

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

But I ripped my khakis.

12. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

FirstDown,

That was pretty funny.

CBC -- where I work -- went through the same thing earlier this year when our Afghanistan correspondent was kidnapped. Google "Melissa Fung" and you'll learn about her adventure, although I'm not sure that's the right word. She was kidnapped, and eventually released. No Canadian media outlet reported about her disappearance, although it was well-known.

Draft saved Draft deleted