1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reportedly sells off regional partners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Raiders, Dec 19, 2011.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I think the Elkhart Truth ranks as #1.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The Ord Quiz sheds a tear.
    http://www.ordquiz.com/

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

The Hungry Horse News weeps.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

That's not fair. The town has the funny name, not the newspaper.

5. Editude

Editude Active Member

Long live the late, great (no, it wasn't great by any stretch) oddly name Butterfield Express in suburban Southern California:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn92069917/

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

7. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

For an average of $10 million per paper, no less.

8. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I know a little about Halifax's purchase of the Daytona News-Journal. It was heart-wrenching before and after. The paper canned many good people before it sold. Those firings were designed to make it more profitable and more desirable to prospective buyers. They went through a series of firings and a few furloughs. I believe Halifax made the old guard swing the swords for the last round of firings. Then Halifax came in and fired some more people and cut the department budgets. Naturally, everyone is doing more work, and that's never a welcome change.

The sports editor moved to news. I'm not sure whether it was voluntary. One of the co-preps editors left a year later. He was not replaced. In fact, approximately eight sports staffers, including a few desk people, left the place before and after the purchase. Some were fired. Some found other employers. I don't think they replaced any of them. But I could be wrong about that. They did fill a few holes by shifting people around.

Some reporters worked from home before the change. I believe the new policy requires almost everyone to be in the office when not working a story. I believe they also decided that the dress code was too lenient. No more shorts. And that's a big deal for Florida. I have talked to a few people who work there. For obvious reasons, they are hesitant to knock the new owners, but they certainly haven't indicated that things are superb.

10. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Heineken, I don't know if things are superb anywhere right now.

11. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Well, it's certainly difficult to separate the industry trends from things specific to the Halifax purchase of the paper. I'm sure Daytona has dealt with the impact of both.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Late to the party, but where is the love for the Pantagraph from Bloomington, Illinois??

Draft saved Draft deleted