1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reportedly sells off regional partners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Raiders, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourselves on "profitable" ... Almost EVERY newspaper that still has its doors open is profitable. Now, "profitable enough for stockholders" is a whole 'nother shooting match.

rb

2. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Yes. It's sort of like Jerry Jones telling the Cowboys, "You have to win every game, and you have to win every game by 40 points."

3. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Look. I'm in the writers' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame. I know what I'm talking about.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Is (was) Lakeland still NYT property?

5. Rockbottom

It is/was, yes.

rb

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

among the the NYT regional properties, I'm betting Tuscaloosa was way ahead on the profitability margin.
    i was told by an EE once that when the newspaper profit margin slipped below 10 percent is when you really had to start worrying.

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

And yet 5 percent profit is a good year in other businesses.

8. Rockbottom

2under is right. Tuscaloosa has done especially well, given the economy, in recent years due to a certain football program's success.

rb

9. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

I once interviewed for a job at the Winter Haven (Fla.) News Chief. I wonder how they ranked in terms of profit in the regional chain NYT just sold.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I could probably take a stab at answering this but I'm going to pass.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

But it ranks third in coolest newspaper name, right after Toledo Blade and Memphis Press-Scimitar, and just ahead of Bloomington Herald-Telephone and Canton Repository.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When you have no love for the Youngstown Vindicator, the terrorists have won.

Draft saved Draft deleted