1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reportedly sells off regional partners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Raiders, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Raiders

Raiders Guest

From Romenesko: Halifax Media is buying the NY Times Regional Media Group. Sale wasn’t supposed to be announced today … but this web page was posted today by accident showing all of the RMG papers being owned by Halifax. Oops.

http://jimromenesko.com/2011/12/19/nyt-sells-regional-papers-to-halifax-media/

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a bunch of papers in Florida freaking out right now...

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Any one know what other properties Halifax owns? As a former NYTRNGer, I still know some folks at a few of these papers.

4. Mizzougrad96

I have a friend who used to work in Tuscaloosa and one of the things these places would boast about is that their staff has the same benefits and stock plan as NYT employees.

I guarantee you that won't be the case anymore.

5. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Halifax has Daytona Beach, Tuscaloosa, Petaluma (Calif.), couple other papers, I think.

NYT business story just moved and has more details. Also says the sale is still pending.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/19/times-said-to-sell-regional-newspapers/

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

Word is, this is happening. All that's left are the details.

7. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Anyone know anything about Halifax besides what papers it owns? This makes them a huge player in the Florida newspaper market at least, but I don't really know anything about their track record, ownership (public/private), etc.

8. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Story makes it sound like they're dropping dead weight, but I'd always heard T'News was quite the little cash cow.

9. Mizzougrad96

I'd be surprised if more than one of the Florida's 10 biggest papers was NYTRNG. I'm guessing Sarasota is the biggest of the group.

10. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

So HUGE was a little much. Still, gives them a lot of influence for coverage especially in the central part of the state, and desk consolidation would almost seem inevitable. And that's in addition to any consolidation that's already happened in Ocala/Gainesville.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As well they fucking should be. This is an unmitigated disaster for anyone working for any of these papers. Make no mistake, Halifax is owned by the absolute worst of the worst, and nothing good will come of this.

And from what I gather, things are about to go from bad to worse in Daytona.

12. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I used to work for an NYT Regional paper. Salary was good. Bennies were silly.

Draft saved Draft deleted