1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT quotes 3.4 times as many men as women on A1

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 17, 2013.

1. JPsT

JPsT Member

I used to enjoy this forum, but personal attacks spilling over from other boards now make up 3.4 times as many posts as ones actually discussing journalism.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You might want to look up the difference between having graduate hours from a university and having a degree. My master's is from the University of Mary Washington.

3. 93Devil

And there are rules for this. believe it or not.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Never heard of it.

5. 93Devil

They've certainly never heard of you.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh yes they have; he supplies their coffee shop.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It sounds like the Times itself is taking the study seriously and planning to adjust accordingly:

http://publiceditor.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/19/starting-a-conversation-at-the-times-about-women-as-news-sources/

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A few people humoring the public editor does not equal taking it seriously. And data without context is not only bad data, it's pernicious data. Unless we want the NYT to be like Gannett.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is just dumb.

If they want to take a look at how they cover women --College Women have Sex! -- that's fine.

But, you quote the people who have information. The WH Press secretary is a man. During the Boston manhunt, all of the folks doing briefings were men. You can't just quote a woman instead.

10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It's good for more NYT navel-gazing, though.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I think men use steak sauce more than women, so this doesn't really surprise me.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That seems to be acknowledged, both by Slate and by the NYT.

But the problem seems to arise when there are stories where both sexes can be represented, and the NYT seems much more comfortable doing so. For example, they mention stories about Obama's time teaching at the University of Chicago. They quoted all men because those were the tenured professors at the time. But Slate is right: Why not find students? Why not find un-tenured professors or seminar lecturers? Why not talk to the people who run the cafeteria?

Draft saved Draft deleted